Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2018, 12:16 PM

Default Re: anyone waiting for new mac pro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
, many many of which are in fact well served by, and simply going about their business using current configuration Mac Pros, iMacs, or MacBook Pros.....

Yeah that new iMac Pro looks like a Hot Rod Rocket ship

If it wasn’t for the price I would have one .....
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
If it wasn’t for the price I would have one .....
If it wasn't for the screen and the non-upgradability so would I.
Hopefully they'll reveal some more info on the Mac Pro next week at WWDC. Would be nice to get excited, not bummed again.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 05-30-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
If it wasn't for the screen and the non-upgradability so would I.
Hopefully they'll reveal some more info on the Mac Pro next week at WWDC. Would be nice to get excited, not bummed again.
Even if they have an announcement on the new Mac Pro they won't be out until sometime next year as has been mentioned on the net a while back.

QAPLA!
Old 05-30-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Even if they have an announcement on the new Mac Pro they won't be out until sometime next year as has been mentioned on the net a while back.
I know they are said to be released some time next year. Still wouldn't mind some good news. Gotta save up a bit for that machine, too. Sure won't be much cheaper than the iMac Pro. Or maybe it'll somewhat match it, since it's not coming with a screen. We shall see.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 05-30-2018, 04:00 PM

Nope. Just got the newest one out there and LOVE IT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 06-03-2018, 03:51 AM

I'll back up my issue with Apple's lack of execution and misguided CEO and what I would do if I was the CEO. ( I own/run 15 corporations, so I understand how to effectively lead people and execute needs )

Dear Apple,

1 – MacPro
Update the MacPro every year with any updates that exist – more ram, faster graphics, MORE I/O ( not less ), more storage, expandability and upgradability. THIS is what a PRO user wants and needs. No reason not to update this yearly. In the Q1 timeframe, a time when companies allocate funds towards equipment and the consumer market slows down. It’s not a fluke why the consumer electronics show, NAMM, auto show, etc.. all pimp new products in Jan/Feb.. now sell to them. 5 YEARS since last update.. unacceptable.

2 – Displays
No reason to blow this market off. You proudly advertise how great your retina display is, yet you ignore making a desktop one? Confusing. Make displays to compliment your MacPro and MacMini. Not to mention having a Apple logo in front of millions of users doesn’t help sustain the brand in people’s minds. 5 YEARS since last update.. unacceptable.

3 – Mac Mini
I still think this product is used and should still be made, just update it.

4 – iMac
WHY is this not a priority to Apple? Make NEW iMacs every year. Announce AND release it in Q3 for the Holiday season; and make sure you manufacturer enough to meet the demand.

5 – iPhone
Increase battery life. More innovation. Don’t neglect the 4″ size, just because Samsung made you think the world wants huge phones… not everyone does. Loose the “s”, it makes no sense on the marketing side to the consumer. And if you are going to do a whole keynote and release a new model, make sure it has more than “look how thin it is”

6 – Apple Watch
Utilize the board of directors you built on this device to help recognize heart attack and stroke symptoms before they happen. Having the watch excel in the medical and health field will reap dividends for years to come… making it a must-have product.

7 – AppleTV
The i/o again is lacking for systems that run like Control4 that needs better options for i/o.
Get the deals done with the networks to help consumers rid the stranglehold on cable companies that over-charge for a million channels.

8 – MacBook Pro
Bring back i/o!!!!
If you want to be respected as a PRO machine, allow there PROS to USE it without 1,000 cables coming out of it. Pro users do not want to deal with dongles.

9 – MacBook / MacBook Air
just give them a refresh more often than 3 years
I really don’t understand the difficulty to update these yearly, without the need for a re-design…

10 – Stock
Keep buying back diluted shares so it’s harder to be manipulated. AAPL is one of the most manipulated stocks on the market.

11- Aquisitions
Make sure what you are looking to acquire is not something Apple can achieve on it’s own with the talent within. (See Beats). And whoever is negotiating these deals needs to grow a pair and learn how to get better deals and not waste so much money on some of these companies. When I see what Apple pays for these acquisitions, I shake my head. Paying $3B for beats was a terrible decision.
Tim didn’t get the memo that Apple CREATES ecosystems and doesn’t just buy them.
If you’re gonna acquire a company, acquire Adobe; for the assets.

12 – Diversify Manufacturing
Apple needs to diversify manufacturing to more than one resource to meet the demand. Be the leader in bringing back manufacturing on a large scale back to America. Utilize China, Mexico and India to meet demand for products so the consumer can purchase the products you are advertising.

13 – Advertising
More money needs to be spent on Advertising and aggressive advertising. Apple has gotten a little weak on ads. Marketing is everything.

14 – iTunes
Fix iTunes. It’s such a pain and over-bloated. iTunes 2010 runs better than iTunes 2017… that is messed up.

15 – Software
Fix Mail. Fix spotlight. Bring back Aperture.
Allocate staff to interact with users of your software and aggressively update them based on the users input. It’s not that difficult.. the users will give you the answers to the quiz. Listen to them and your software will shine.

16 – iCloud
This is kind of embarrassing. Other companies offer better services for less money. it almost makes more sense to roll $5 - $10 more into each product and offer iCloud for free with a generous space to sustain the
user base, offering tons of services with all that content. 1TB free is what I would offer.
Get the servers out of China and on U.S. soil for security reasons.

17 – Retail
Allocate more employees to help people at the help desk. Every store I go in has 10-20 sales people, mostly talking to one another, meanwhile 2-3 tech people are backlogged with pissed off customers. This is mis-managed and can be better handled.

18 – Keynotes
Tim, step aside and let someone with passion, excitement and a great stage excitement do the keynotes. Make them count. Don’t assemble the press and your fan base to come to one of these events to tell them the new iPhone is thinner. Don’t waste everyone’s time and understand when you have the stage.. perform… sell… and if you lack things to talk about, then it should be telling to your allocation of the talent around you and how you utilized them.

19 – Apple Pay
WHY is this not being advertised like crazy? No excuse for the lazy approach to this. Advertise this everywhere. Co-Brand with world brands. Do a co-brand commercial with subway showing people buying a sandwich and paying with their phone in seconds. Show how easy and secure it is. Almost every person I tell about Apple Pay has no clue about how much more secure it is than the other choices. Even the retail staff doesn’t know. Who’s job is that to tell them? Apple! Run ads showcasing that strength.

20 – HomeKit
See how users use products like Control4 and start building the ecosystem for that. I feel this, along with CarPlay, can be a game-changer if done right. You create great things like HomeKit, yet trying to educate the consumer about it is lacking. There should a fun section on the website all about these technologies you have. Consumers should not have to dig for that info. The website and marketing should be promoting them more aggressively. This is a under utilized sector for Apple.

21 – iPad
iPad should be updated every year and announced and released Q3 for holiday quarter sales.

22 – R&D
Make sure the products are tested enough so you don’t have issues after the release (see maps, EarPods, macbook pro 2016 battery, etc.. )

23 - Fix your Christmas failures
2017 - missed releasing HomePod release for Christmas
2016 - missed AirPod inventory to sell
2015 - missed inventory on iPhone to meet demand
2014 - missed iMac inventory to sell thru Christmas
This is a ongoing problem. The date for Christmas has not changed in 2017 years.
Take around 1% of your revenue $200 - $250B and hire 50,000 workers averaging $50,000 each
and diversify them into manufacturing plants: 20,000 in the U.S., 10,000 in China, 10,000 in Mexico and
10,000 in India to meet your product demand so the cycles of the products are announced, released and
exercised in ONE financial quarter so your analytic data points are more accurate sand consumers are better served.

24 - Better communication
Way too many PR nightmare from one CEO for such a small sku product line. Throttling the iOS without
letting people know was one of the worst executions this company has ever done.. again under Tim Cook.

Those are some of my ideas.
Richard Hofherr
Old 06-03-2018, 12:27 PM

I love Monday-morning quarterbacking by nobodies of the largest company in the world. Apple isn't a Mac business anymore (and definitely wasn't a Mac Pro business even when the cheese grater models were still being made.)

It's an iOS business.
And secondarily a laptop business. And third, an iMac business.

BTW, Steve Jobs died Oct 5, 2011.

But do go on about your 15 businesses and I'm assuming you have multinational global dealings, financial restrictions, EU and US controls, dealing with China trade (closed door system), etc.?
Old 06-03-2018, 12:57 PM

Besides who really needs a new computer every year? There's something to be said for the old phrase: if it ain't broke don't fix it. Sure Apple has some things that need to be taken care of but new models every year just for the sake of new models - what do you think this is - the automobile business or what?

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 06-03-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thheaven View Post
I'll back up my issue with Apple's lack of execution and misguided CEO and what I would do if I was the CEO. ( I own/run 15 corporations, so I understand how to effectively lead people and execute needs )
Apple is run by a bunch of amateurs!

Old 06-04-2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
I love Monday-morning quarterbacking [I]
But do go on about your 15 businesses and I'm assuming you have multinational global dealings, financial restrictions, EU and US controls, dealing with China trade (closed door system), etc.?
Ya T. Cook could certainly learn a thing or two from someone who spun off a rock band (few have heard of) revenue streams, into 14 businesses (no one ever heard of)

Personally I am content to wait and see what mismanaged Apple comes up with, given I am still using a 2010 model which works fine, and can probably get another 3 to 5 years out of it, at least . Dam those fumbling Apple slackers

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...