Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-25-2010, 06:26 PM

Default Audio files ending up on different drives

This is a problem that just came up after 2 years of PT recording (currently 8.0.4 for Mac Snow Leopard):

I have a separate drive for my audio sessions and always keep all my audio files together under the same project folder.

Tonight I noticed new folders on my main system drive (root directory) named after session folders on my audio drive. When I opened them, I found a bunch of wave files from sessions I've done over the past 2 weeks. I don't know how they got there, but protools will still use them in the main session. Other tracks get recorded in the usual folder. There's no session file in the folder on the system drive, that's still in the audio drive session folder.

So for example, I now have 2 folders named "blues song", one on my main Mac HD, and one in my external drive. The one on the Mac HD has a bunch of bass tracks (that I recorded in one session) and a few vocal tracks, the rest of the song tracks are on the audio drive.

I don't know how that happened (is it possible my external drive flaked out and protools started a new folder on its own??)

What I DO notice is that when I start the session, I get a message that some region files are out of bounds and are deleted, and then it saves a text document.

Aside from the "how did that happen" issue, is there a safe way to move all of those files back to the external drive without screwing up all the editing I've done in the session so far? Can I use the workspace or project window to do this?

If so, Can I just drag the audio folder from the system drive to the session drive and have it combine the contents or is there a special workflow for this?

Please help!!

PS: here's the text of the note:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regions were adjusted or deleted in the following places:

The following regions not referenced elsewhere:
Vocal_04 (Audio) - Deleted
Old 10-25-2010, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Audio files ending up on different drives

This was just one of the many problems I was experiencing with 8.0.4, so I uninstalled and went back to 8.0.3.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:55 PM

Uncheck Round Robin under Disk Allocation.

redtuxedo.com
milkmoneyconsulting.com
mindexpansiontechnology.com

Last edited by AfterJohn; 10-25-2010 at 08:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-26-2010, 04:22 AM

So is this a bug or not? Like I said, 2 years of recording and this never happened until 2 weeks ago.

Also, how do I move the files back to my external drive without screwing up all the edits, punches, etc. Does protools automatically identify the files or is there a workflow for this?
Old 10-26-2010, 04:41 AM

BTW round robin is NOT enabled on this song. But I do see that Mac HD is now selected as the root folder for all of the tracks I've recorded over the past week. How did this happen? Is there a way to set it back? Is there a global disk allocation preference?
Old 10-27-2010, 07:22 AM

OK, well I used the "copy and relink" option from the project manager to move some of the files back to the external drive. The operation didn't completely finish and left some weird visual bugs, like incorrect or absent waveforms in the editor, but it seemed to play ok.

Frankly, this kind of freaks me out and I'm wondering how I can avoid having future files scattered all over my system. Is this a bug? I have a lot of recording coming up.