Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2001, 04:45 PM

Default Can you make a Masterlink CD-24-compatible CD?

I'm trying to deliver masters for a client who will be mastering with an engineer who has a Masterlink. I don't have one, but I looked at some CD-24s I had and it looks like you should be able to make one in Toast using ISO9660 and AIFF files.

I bounced the songs to 24/44.1 AIFF files. I looked at a Masterlink file which had the file type of "AIFF" and creator type of "????". I could change my bounces from PTul to ????, but if I burn an ISO9660 and follow ML naming convention of 8.3 (spaces count, ie "horsie__.AIF"), will the disc be playable in a Masterlink?

The only thing that might be proprietary is some sort of invisible meta-data or something that gives the ML the track order, which is otherwise not apparent in the naming scheme.

Can anyone try this for me?
Old 08-20-2001, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Can you make a Masterlink CD-24-compatible CD?

I think youi will have to rent one. I aint never heard of nothing that can create or playback ML stuf that aint a ML....
[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 08-20-2001, 05:23 PM

The newer version 2.0 Masterlink software writes the correct bit info into the file headers, so CD24 files written by v.2 Masterlinks can be easily imported into most formats/DAWs now from the CD-R drive in your computer.

Jon
Old 08-20-2001, 07:14 PM

I can't find cd24's anywhere!
someone please tell me where I can get these!
I have a masterlink
Iwould love a link or address to a store I can purchace these little suckers!!!!!!

Phil Plaskon [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2001, 08:23 PM

You use the same cd-r's that you use for red book cds. just push the little button from "redbook" to "CD24" on the masterlink and then burn your cd. It will burn your playlist onto the cd in 24 bit AIFF files that you can import into any DAW. Watch out though you can't put 74 min of 24 bit 44.1 audio on one cd. Check your book it has a table of how much space CD24 takes up.

Tony
Old 08-20-2001, 09:02 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jonny Atack:
The newer version 2.0 Masterlink software writes the correct bit info into the file headers, so CD24 files written by v.2 Masterlinks can be easily imported into most formats/DAWs now from the CD-R drive in your computer.

Jon
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So then, Mr Atack,

I'm trying to do the reverse of what the ML was designed to do, but I feel like I should be able to do this because Alesis says that the CD-24 format is ISO-9660 and Joliet AIFFs. Still, there is SOMETHING proprietary in there, but I wonder if that element is necessary or just adds functionality.

Obviously there's no problem with reading CD-24s in Pro Tools or anything else, although the early software did cause problems.

That kind of blows if I have to rent something that should be using standards anyway...
Old 08-21-2001, 08:41 AM

Do you think Masterlink would be a means of recording an "unmastered" 44.1/24bit mix out of Pro Tools, and then bring that mix back into Pro Tools in a new session for the sole purpose of mastering and dithering to 16 bit? I find that in the original session, I'm out of DSP by the time I want to insert plugs on the master bus. The above method, I think, would allow you to start over with DSP space, all of which could be dedicated to the master bus. Transfer from and back in to Pro Tools, could be done in the digital domain of course.

Or would you "master" and dither within Masterlink, not Pro Tools?

Or would you bounce to disk, using a 44.1/24 bit file?

Not precisely what's being discussed here, I know. Thanks,

John Caldwell
Old 08-21-2001, 03:43 PM

"That kind of blows if I have to rent something that should be using standards anyway... "

THEIR standards! I dunno, I was interested in the ML, but I gave up on it! Anyhow you had better get on the phone and rent one. Make sure they include the manual with it.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

"Do you think Masterlink would be a means of recording an "unmastered" 44.1/24bit mix out of Pro Tools, and then bring that mix back into Pro Tools in a new session for the sole purpose of mastering and dithering to 16 bit?'

Yes ideal.

Dont you dig Bounce To Disk?

Why not record via a bus to two open tracks in PT? (muted to prevent feedback) import those into a mastering session & bam! no need for Masterlink!

there is a 'new one' - BTW "convert after checked"? What the hell is that? it's supposed to be better! Any one tried it yet???

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Jules

[ August 21, 2001: Message edited by: Jules ]
www.gearslutz.com
Old 08-21-2001, 08:11 PM

Well Baixo, since I have an ML I haven't experienced the interest or desire to try to do what you're doing. The easiest thing would be to just rent one for a day...shouldn't be more than $20.

FWIW, here is what the v.2 manual says, if that can help you:

"Masterlink CD24s are ISO9660 compliant CD-Roms. However, ISO9660 does not provide explicit Mac file system support, specifically relating to the "File Type" and "File Creator" attributes and Finder Flags. This can cause a CD24s AIFF file to not be recognized properly by the Macintosh Finder.

"ML version 2.0 software adds the File Type, File Creator, and Finder Flag information to the CD24 so that Mac OS will recognize the AIFF files upon insertion of a CD24 disc. Masterlink AIFFs should be 'drag and drop' compatible right from the CD24 volume on the Desktop."

Good luck,

Jon

PS - For those who asked, I've found the Masterlink coupled with a PSX100SE makes for a good-sounding and convenient master recorder. Backing up the 24/96 or 24/44.1 mixes to CD24s is a piece of cake, and making 16-bit CDs (with automatic dithering/noise shaping) for checking out the mixes elsewhere or sending a copy to the record company is quick and easy as well. A Masterlink is a handy little box to have around.

[ August 21, 2001: Message edited by: Jonny Atack ]
Old 08-21-2001, 10:21 PM

time to call Design FX. Well, no better way to find out than to try...