Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 01-08-2021, 09:40 AM

Default Ultimate upgrade from perpetual

Hi guys, I just received a gig that was wrongly communicated. I was going from a stereo mix and now it turns out she needs a DCP 5.1 mix. In order to keep the gig, I’m thinking of updating. Is it possible to upgrade my stereo perpetual license to ultimate, if so what would it cost. I guess not as much as the PT Ultimate itself for 2500€ or? And can I run it with the gear that I have in my signature? Aside from a few more speakers, do I need anymore gear? My MOTU ultralite can handle it or?

Thx in advance
Old 01-08-2021, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Ultimate upgrade from perpetual

On that note, has anyone tried converting a stereo mix to 5.1 with the “audacity” Programm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2021, 09:43 AM

Why not set up a 30-day trial? That gives you Ultimate and thinking time

Old 01-08-2021, 09:50 AM

Thx for the reply. I don’t really need the thinking time as I was a long time PT 10 HDX user. What I need is the money to upgrade. If I knew the hardware that I have now can run the program then it would make my impulsive buy finger easier to click. I just wanted to check to make sure I don’t need a “native” box or an Omni or something fancy like that.

Is this the upgrade I would need?

https://m.thomann.de/gb/avid_pro_too...rch=1610128193
Old 01-08-2021, 10:47 AM

As suggested above, the wisest way is to get the trial for Protools Ultimate. This allows you to verify that it works with your hardware to support your 5.1 mix and possibly allow you to finish the gig. Then once you're satisfied with the performance and functionality, you may go ahead and click to purchase the upgrade to Ultimate. Everything good and no down side to this approach.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 01-11-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copesetic View Post
Hi guys, I just received a gig that was wrongly communicated. I was going from a stereo mix and now it turns out she needs a DCP 5.1 mix. In order to keep the gig, I’m thinking of updating. Is it possible to upgrade my stereo perpetual license to ultimate, if so what would it cost. I guess not as much as the PT Ultimate itself for 2500€ or? And can I run it with the gear that I have in my signature? Aside from a few more speakers, do I need anymore gear? My MOTU ultralite can handle it or?

Thx in advance
There currently is a perpetual ultimate license available on buy/sell for $1800 obo if still interested and looking to save a few bucks.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:56 PM

Thx, but i just found out that I would need an HD native box and an HD Omni for the ultimate to work so I’m looking for those at the moment.

Old 01-11-2021, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Thx, but i just found out that I would need an HD native box and an HD Omni for the ultimate to work so I’m looking for those at the moment.

Why would you have to use HD Native & Omni? Ultimate software works with any 3rd party CoreAudio or ASIO interface with the usual 32 I/O limit. Lots of 3rd party interfaces can do monitor control for 5.1+. I am not sure if MOTU CueMix can control monitor paths of 5.1, but it very likely can.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:11 AM

That’s what my PT dealer said. I would need at least the native box and some kind of compatible interface.

Old 01-12-2021, 03:10 AM

Quote:
That’s what my PT dealer said. I would need at least the native box and some kind of compatible interface.
Your dealer is wrong.

You only need the HD Native or HDX card if you need to get more than 32 inputs or outputs into or out of the system at a time. You can still have up to 384 channels at a time at with the stand alone Ultimate software.

You can use Protools Ultimate with any USB, Thunderbolt, or ethernet audio interface with full features and track counts (except for the I/O limit). And it will do surround just fine, assuming you have the right number of physical outputs in your audio interface to monitor in surround correctly.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One