Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 09-28-2020, 11:00 AM

Default Convert .ptx session file to .ptf session file

Hello, I’m posting because I received Pro Tools Sessions for mixing but I use Pro tools 8 (.ptf file type) and the sessions are newer/the latest version of Pro Tools (.ptx file type). I need the .ptx files converted to .ptf and I have a handful of questions:
1) Is there any way of doing this besides opening each .ptx session in the latest version of Pro Tools and doing a “Save Copy In” for Pro Tools Session 7 -> 9?
2) Is there anyone gracious enough who can convert these files for me? I can send you the sessions via a OneDrive link and if you could upload the .ptf files I would be eternally grateful.
3) I’m concerned there’s a lot of old timers like me using legacy Pro Tools software and folks will keep running into this issue of trying to open a newer session on an older machine. I’d like to start a database/shared folder of people able to convert Pro Tools .ptx files and people in need of files converted. Here’s my plan, I have a folder here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvUJM3nvi2EegcVH...T8qzA?e=rw8whv
That is meant to be a public folder and repository for files that need to be converted. In it are 2 files, a README text with instructions on how to use the shared folder, and a spread sheet database for listing people willing to be contacted for converting files. My thought is that people who are able to convert .ptx files can list contact information in the database and then people in need can reach out to people on the list and coordinate sharing files. The person that needs files converted would create a folder and upload the session files, and the person doing the converting would upload the converted sessions to the same folder. I even have a column in the database for Venmo links so people doing conversions can get cash donated to them for the effort :) Is this a crazy idea? Would anyone be interested in joining the effort?
Old 09-28-2020, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Convert .ptx session file to .ptf session file

Obviously the older systems cannot read newer formats, so the only way is to save copy in older format.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:06 AM

JFreak, is that something you could do for me?
Old 09-28-2020, 11:07 AM

There is a limit to my charity as well. But I can even try to whistle a national anthem if you pay me for it
Old 09-28-2020, 05:12 PM

Just have the sender of the sessions save them to .ptf for you.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-29-2020, 09:09 AM

Unfortunately this might not be possible. Can you help convert the sessions for me?