Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-1999, 03:02 PM

Default Re: sync???

How about this for a compromise:

Digi001: $999 msrp.
Digi001TC: $1499 msrp. Adds timecode support version of LE, called "TC".
Upgrade from 001 to 001TC: $499.

And the most important one:
Uptrade from AMIII to 001TC: $999. Only for AMIII/ProTools owners registered before 11/1/99.

Therefore, the existing AMIII owner, who was getting no upgrade deal at all, gets their 001 and their Timecode for the same price they would have just been getting an 001.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 10-29-1999, 05:49 PM

peppertree -

watch out man, once the government figures out how smart you are we will all be discussing the 'single bullet theory'again

BTW your upgrade plan is a good idea

*even too good...
Old 10-30-1999, 06:43 AM

peppertree -

I'll buy that!!!

2022 Mac Studio Max 64GB / 1TB, macOSX 13.6.6, 2019 i9 MacBook Pro (15,3), macOSX 14.4.1, PT Ulti 2024.3.0, DAR 5.1, MDA Creator1.5, Rx10 Advanced, Ozone 10 Advanced, Kontakt 7, Soundminer v6.1Pro, Spanner 4, PaulXStretch,
EuControl 2023.11.0, Avid Control 2023.11.0, Avid S1, iPad Pros 12.9" gen 3 & gen 4, Apollo 8 Duo, UAD-2 Satellite Quad, Glyph 2TB tb3 NVMe SSD, x2 Glyph 2TB SSDs, x1 Glyph 4TB SSD, OWC tb3 Dock, OWC Thunderbay 8 62TB
Old 10-30-1999, 11:12 AM

Ed, peppertree

Me too
My Visa is heating

[This message has been edited by gugu (edited 10-30-99).]
Old 10-30-1999, 06:30 PM

I will be pretty pisse'd if Digidesign increase the price of 001/Pt 5le just to give Kasper and Noisefloor TC.

If Digidesign were to give PT 5 with TC as an option that cost extra then all would be cool.

Oh man no UBB Image code is allowed <sigh>

Here's to tha future.......gotta luv a new Dual/Quad Alti-Vec G4 running Digi001...bah TDM would have to take a price hit cos Mix Systems with the aging Motorola 80mhz DSP aint got nuttin on the G4.

TaRGØN

[This message has been edited by Targon (edited 10-30-99).]
Old 10-31-1999, 11:51 AM

Thanks, coaster, for the boost...I was on the grassy knoll, but was too distracted thinking about software pricing strategy to notice what the guy next to me was doing...

Seriously, I heard that the concern over 001 timecode inclusion was over tech support costs...they didn't want to do post support to people who'd only paid $900 for their rig...if so, I would simply make 001TC support fees higher. Existing users of AMIII based systems are less likely to need extensive support.

It does seem a bit silly to be releasing a product without timecode support in 1999...even sillier when it's just been #ifdef'd out to please marketing. It's useful to music-only people, even home studio people locking to tape.

Perhaps this is part of a larger strategy involving a consumer play on the Avid side with video production...trying to hold Apple's efforts off. Even so, it's hard to see the logic. If tech support is the problem, charge for tech support, don't segment via #ifdef.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 10-31-1999, 08:34 PM

Concern about tech support calls for a $ 1,000 system ?????

Sounds like BS to me.

I can call just about any company, any good company, and get tech support, regardless of what I paid.

I have called on software only products that I paid $ 100 or $ 200 or even less for !!

Besides, Digi is still marketing this product w/the ability to sync to TC. If there is no window to see and verify incoming code or spot regions to, this will only increase calls to tech support regarding sync issues.

And Hey TARGON !! You will be pissed if the price goes up on a product you don't even own?
Give me a *****n break, How much $$$ do you have invested in Digi ???? I can bet not as much as I do !! I'm pissed because I already have thousands invested and they are taking features away that I already paid for !!

But I'll give a little to get a little, so if Digi wants to give me an 001 that will run the FULL version of PT for $ 1,500 I'm in. or how about an 001 that runs the FULL PT for $ 1,000 and I trade in an AMIII card ????

Wadda ya say Digi ??? Want some more $$$ ???

kasper

[This message has been edited by Kasper (edited 10-31-99).]
Old 11-01-1999, 02:51 PM

Kasper

Great Idea!!! Ummm I'm wondering if Digi is taking all of this good advice into consideration.
Old 11-04-1999, 01:27 PM

Kasper, if you are working on "feature length films" then you should be able to afford a
"real" Protools system. The 001 is for the home studio guy that wants to use something that actually works and is transferrable to a Pro studio. Movies = PT 5.0, Creative Spirit
with their guitar, keyboard, drum kit, etc. = PT 5.0 LE, people who like to get frustrated with their equipment and spend 90% of their time solving problems = MOTU.

Spanky
Old 11-04-1999, 01:54 PM

"if you are working on "feature length films" then you should be able to afford a
"real" Protools system."

What the **** planet are you from, buddy? Ever hear of a movie called "Blair Witch Project"? There are plenty of audio rooms that cost more than the budget of that ENTIRE MOVIE. Sure, there are plenty of big budget movies. But there are also TONS of independent features, television/video projects, student films (I guess you expect every school that wants to get into audio to shell out $10000+ per seat), corporate videos, video games, and web video projects. And even the "big budget" guys are using some "low end" equipment - look at Lucasfilm. Sure, they use TDM systems for much of the work, but for many things, they JUST DON'T NEED a full-blown system. You don't really understand how the industry works, do you? Titanic made over a billion dollars - Digital Domain (James Cameron's effects company) LOST money on the project. The post business is incredibly competitive, and there aren't piles of money lying around waiting to be thrown at upgrades.

Mike