Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2015, 02:43 PM

Just wondering...As of now, what Slate Plugins are deterring work flow because of CPU usage?

Aside from FG-X, of which there should only be a maximum of one instance, if that, in any session, what Slate plugins are CPU hogs? I can run way more instances of VMR/VTM/VBC than I'd ever need on my i7 2.7.

Seriously, I have VMR/VTM on every track and VBC on most buses on crowded rock mixes and my CPU is rarely above 25% with that setup (that's counting other plugins involved as well! Lotsa Equilibrium, Kush Pusher/Clairphonic, Massey, Valhalla, etc..)

I just don't see the real need for AAX-DSP at all here...Maybe I'm missing something, aside from the age-old "more dsp is better cuz more is better" argument?
Old 05-24-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
Just wondering...As of now, what Slate Plugins are deterring work flow because of CPU usage?

Aside from FG-X, of which there should only be a maximum of one instance, if that, in any session, what Slate plugins are CPU hogs? I can run way more instances of VMR/VTM/VBC than I'd ever need on my i7 2.7.

Seriously, I have VMR/VTM on every track and VBC on most buses on crowded rock mixes and my CPU is rarely above 25% with that setup (that's counting other plugins involved as well! Lotsa Equilibrium, Kush Pusher/Clairphonic, Massey, Valhalla, etc..)

I just don't see the real need for AAX-DSP at all here...Maybe I'm missing something, aside from the age-old "more dsp is better cuz more is better" argument?

Tracking with plugins on, latency etc on big full mixes

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 05-24-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
How many tracks are we talking about? 50+?
Old 05-24-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:

As already mentioned, it is a latency issue.

If I want to use his plugins on a track in real time, it will add an unexceptable amount to track with. So since this is a plugin that most people want on almost every track, it basically shuts you down from tracking with it in real time.

Or...
If you are mixing with it and want to use any DSP, then your DSP is inefficient if you go DSP to Native. It eats extra voices and adds extra latency. So this is a real pita if you want his plugin as the last plugin on any of your tracks. It basically eats your lunch on a DSP system-- especially being plugins that are advertised as being put on every single track and bus.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 05-24-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post

If I want to use his plugins on a track in real time, it will add an unexceptable amount to track with. So since this is a plugin that most people want on almost every track, it basically shuts you down from tracking with it in real time.

Or...

If you are mixing with it and want to use any DSP, then your DSP is inefficient if you go DSP to Native. It eats extra voices and adds extra latency. So this is a real pita if you want his plugin as the last plugin on any of your tracks. It basically eats your lunch on a DSP system-- especially being plugins that are advertised as being put on every single track and bus.

Exactly true!!!

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 05-24-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:

Or...
The latency issue for HDX Users is the core issue here, and I have documented my experience of increased latency issues on session stability. Having AAX-DSP plugs for an HDX system is a beautiful thing, and HDX runs in full glory - truly something to behold.

For me - I track vocals against premixed stems (which have used Native AAX plugs) to be good enough for a headphone mix. I then only use AAX-DSP plugs for the vocal path. I have around 100 sample system delay at that point, and the vocalists are happy. Contrast to a mix/master session where I routinely blow past the 16383 sample buffer.

Mixing is another beast - and of course you want to have the latest plugs to achieve your vision of sonics. UAD is the worst offender for a HDX system, but in general any plugs delay you have on a track gets added to the delays on SubMix Groups and Master Inserts. Native plugs on SubGroups and Masters are excruciating.

When I started the thread, the reason I decided to go HDX was the promise Steven made to support the platform. While I'm getting by, Slate, Kush and UAD are my BIG THREE usage counts in the plug department. The more that made the trek to support AAX-DSP, the better. Ask anyone with large mix sessions and high plug count (and this is not meant to open a debate on mix preference - that's a personal choice - sometimes characterized by More if Better by those with differing needs and goals) the value they place on having AAX-DSP plug availability.

It is much better than 18 months ago, and I do not have any unused HDX DSP processors ... but I would buy another HDX card if Slate & Kush could provide AAX-DSP plugs to be used on the SubGroup and Master busses.

Thank god for PlugIn Alliance, DMG Audio, Sonnox and SofTube!
DSP & IO : Pro Tools HDX2(2018.3), 2x UAD Octo, HDIO 16x16 Analog IO(3), HDIO 16x16 Digital IO
Plugins: Avid, DMG Audio, Kush, oeksound, P'n'T, Plugin Alliance, Softube, SoundTheory, Sonnox, Sound Radix, SoundToys, UAD, VEP, etc
Hardware: API, Chandler, Hardy, Moog, Neve, Shadow Hills, Smart, Summit, TC Electronic M6000, UREI, etc
Microphones: Telefunken, Neumann, Shure, AKG
Old 05-25-2015, 09:55 AM

+1000 for AAX DSP.

Can we have some update on this please M. Slate?
Old 05-25-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:

Or...
Ah yes...Its been so long since I've used an HD system that I forgot all about the latency thing. In native systems, there's nothing to worry about! I track through VMR all the time here with zero latency (buffer size of 64, 44.1 sample rate, no one has ever complained...)

The only plugins I use that add latency these days are Kush's Pusher and Slate's VTM; both of which I simply disable on all tracks if I need to track during/after mixing (easy to do if you make sure to put all instances on the same insert slot!) Delay Compensation is always off here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
How many tracks are we talking about? 50+?
Between 30-40, with 10 or so buses and a loaded master is normal for me.

Last edited by AlexLakis; 05-25-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:06 AM

Steven Slate 5 months ago. Maybe he's changed his mind:

Quote:
AAX DSP is definitely something to consider.. Having said that..

For $2,999, you can get a new Mac Pro (the 'trashcan'). We have one here, and are using a thunderbolt interface with it, tracking at 64 buffers 96khz (1.5ms roundtrip, the same as HDX), and I'm using 24 VMR's with an eq and a compressor, 3 reverbs, 1 delay, SSD4 64bit drum instrument, and one guitar sim. Not even a hiccup.

So I do think the "native" systems of today with 64bit DAWs and plugins that have no latency (like VMR ) are really different than what they were even just a few short years ago. I can't imagine I'll have a problem doing any real time tracking with this system.

Again..not saying we won't do AAX DSP which is a whole nother ballgame in terms of robustness... but just pointing out that Native can be super powerful too.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 05-26-2015, 05:28 PM

Unfortunately I can not run my system at 64 buffer and I have the same computer... too many virtual instrument things going on as well as hungry native reverbs. I would love to see AAX DSP slate plugs... not about CPU usage, all about latency.