Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2011, 10:13 AM

Default Cheap Solution for Expression and Rig Changes

OK, so I have a Midi solution for my big setup, but I wanted something small for more casual playing. Mainly, I am one of the lucky ones that can play at work during my lunch hour, etc. I have a 2 button (Digitech GNXFC) pedal that I can plug in to change patches and I have a Line 6 FBV Express USB midi I can setup when using Pro Tools, but I did not have a basic expression pedal for plugginf irectly into the back of the 11R.

I did a bunch of searching and found quite a few options with prices ranging from $29 to over $100. I had kind of decided to get a M-audio ex-p because of the price and becuase I already have a live solution. While looking I came acroos the M-Audio Black Box Pedal Board. I paid $17.50 new. Cheaper then the exp by itself. I did some research and came up with an idea.

After some testing, the expression pedal worked great, so....

Took it apart to see how it was wired.

The problem

The solution

So what I ended up doing is wiring the buttons and expression pedal together. This allows me to switch the 11r user parameter for external pedal from expression to footswtich and have boths functions from the Black Box. Obviously you only get one type of function at one time, but it works faily well. You do have to set the expression pedal in the right location to use the buttons in footswitch mode (or one button will work in a erractic manner), but that is pretty easy for casual playing. When used has an expression pedal I can use the buttons has an instant full heel down trigger which can produce a cool effect. The expression pedal can also change presets up when in footswitch mode. So I isn't perfect, but it works. I may add a latching switch to the Black Box to change the active wires so the functionality is further separated and I don't get the cross over function. But first I will play around with it and see how it goes.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Cheap Solution for Expression and Rig Changes

cool man, enjoyed the post with pics. Much nicer to SEE what you are talking about.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio