Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2004, 03:23 AM

Default My ibook DIED 2 months out of warranty

I bought my ibook to go with my mbox in may 2003 and everything had been going so smoothly till july this year. the ibook conks out and the mac guys in my local mac store say nothing can be done. I go online and find out that the ibook is known for having problems with the logic board and apple even created some kind of extended warranty for it but only if you have video problems. my ibook is having problems with the power supply not the video. has anynone else had any ibook problems here. I am curious to know.
Old 08-01-2004, 04:44 AM

Default Re: My ibook DIED 2 months out of warranty

A friend of mine had the same problem, and her ibook was way past the warranty period. Apple sent her a box to pack it in to be shipped to Apple in Holland. I heard you can check your serial number on the Apple website, and if yours is one of the ones affected (and it obviously is) they have to fix it for you. Check it out...

edwardo
Old 08-01-2004, 10:05 AM

Quote:
...to be shipped to Apple in Holland.
Did your friend get their iBook back? Apple's repair headquarters are in Texas (I used to work for them) - there isn't anything Apple related in Holland. Apple laptops are assembled in Japan, but all repairs are done in Texas, although now most Apple stores are doing laptop repairs in house (they used to just check them in, then ship them to TX, but it became too much of a hassle).

Quote:
the mac guys in my local mac store say nothing can be done.
Did you go to an actual Apple store, or just a local place that is an apple retailer? Repairing laptop is a hassle, and it's likely they may have just fed you that line to keep from having to do the work. Call Applecare (1-800-MY-APPLE) if you don't have a local Apple Store beacuse they can definitely fix it, but it might not be free (depends on how good you are at raising a fuss). My stepdad had power supply issues with his iBook, and it was certainly fixable (he was still under warranty - ALWAYS get the extended Applecare warranty for laptops, the repairs are WAY expensive if anything ever dies. It's not really necessary for desktops, as you can usually fix most parts in those yourself).

Good luck!
Old 08-02-2004, 07:21 AM

Holland in this case, because we are outside the continental US of A, in Europe. This was on the uip-and-up,
this was an ibook that had a defective logic board, a known problem for which Apple has listed the serial #s of those ibooks affected, adn they are offering to repair or replace, even out of warranty, and they shipped a box by UPS to be shipped to what i assume is some sort of European central unit where it will be evaluated and dealt with. In other words, Apple has offered to make good on what is, evidently, a widespread, and serious, production screw-up.

Check out http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

edwardo