Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2018, 01:36 AM

Default Cabling routing for an analogue mixer to Quartet

I am sure this question has come up before but I am unable to track the info down. Could anyone give me the wiring / cable setup to connect a 16 channel mixer to the Pro Tools Quartet?
Old 02-10-2018, 03:20 AM

Default Re: Cabling routing for an analogue mixer to Quartet

Do you have more hardware (an 8 channel toslink ADAT input DAC)?

Quartet has only 6 analogue outs and if you use 2 for speakers, that leaves you 4. No way to do a 16 channel analogue mixer. It's simple math.

And this question doesn't come up for that reason. If you want to feed a 16 channel analogue mixer, you need 16 analogue channels out.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.a.d.vowles View Post
I am sure this question has come up before but I am unable to track the info down. Could anyone give me the wiring / cable setup to connect a 16 channel mixer to the Pro Tools Quartet?
Which way are you going - trying to feed the mixer into the Quartet or the other way around? If trying to feed the mixer's individual outputs to the quartet you can only feed 4 analog channels and 8 via toslink for a total of 12 channels. If you're trying to feed a composite output from the mixer into the quartet then all you need is a pair of cables (one each for left & right channels) from the mixer to the interface.

Really we can't give more info until you tell us which way you're trying to go and what the mixer is you're using.

PS: While researching this I found Avid discontinued the unit last year.

QAPLA!
Old 02-10-2018, 06:29 AM

Thanks Jack,
I am planning to use the mixer to route into the quartet, ie a few cables only. The speakers can be driven from the mixer output. The Mixer is an Alto APM 160 and all I am unsure off is which cables to plug in where so as not to create a load bang!
Mike
Old 02-10-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Thanks Jack,
I am planning to use the mixer to route into the quartet, ie a few cables only. The speakers can be driven from the mixer output. The Mixer is an Alto APM 160 and all I am unsure off is which cables to plug in where so as not to create a load bang!
Mike
More importantly, what is the purpose of the mixer?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-10-2018, 01:03 PM

So you want to use Pro Tools as a glorified tape recorder. Cool

Plug two TS output cables from "2-Track Out" on the back of the APM into two inputs on the Quartet (this is going from unbalanced to balanced.) Adjust for input/output levels. That's it.

Alternatively, you could send from the ST Sub Out on the APM. These are balanced connectors.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks Jack,
Mike
You still haven't really answered the question and that is EXACTLY what are you trying to do/record? Are you trying to record individual outputs from the mixer or a composite output?

You don't want to drive the speakers from the mixer output as that won't have the PT output unless you route from the Quartet back to the mixer but that would not give you any kind of decent quality. Again we need to know what you really are trying to accomplish.

QAPLA!
Old 02-10-2018, 08:21 PM

Shooting from the hip here, but (my opinion only) I can see 2 reasons for incorporating this mixer into your setup. #1-you have lots of keyboards that you want to all be connected and ready without a bunch of patching(a good reason) or #2- maybe someone told you you should have a mixer(which is a bad reason to use it, but a good reason for your confusion)

If #1 is correct, I could see patching a bunch of keyboards, synths and such in thru a mixer and feed that stereo signal to a pair of inputs of the Quartet(just make sure everything is hum and buzz free.

If its #2-I suggest you rethink this a bit. Keeping the setup simple has some advantages, such as:
A-you can concentrate more on music and less on hardware
B-with less gear, you hone your skills faster and better(making the most out of a small setup is likely to make better music than scratching your head trying to figure out why something isn't working)
C-while adding a great mixer(think Neve, API, SSL) can impart some desirable quality, a cheap mixer offers none of that "mojo".

In either case, as already suggested, I would simply connect and control your monitors from the Quartet(especially if #1 is your wish, if not for signal purity, at least to prevent more routing confusion and feedback loops that could fry speakers, headphones or your hearing

I see similar questions very often when someone is set on inserting some DBX or Alesis processor, when the reality is, plugins will match or beat any "pro-sumer" hardware, and do it with none of the hassle

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-10-2018, 09:54 PM

Again thanks to all for the info. I am not sure how I ended up with Pro Tools as all I wanted originally was a DAW to enable score edit / print ability during composition of new songs. Now I have a tool which allows me to record and mix, a quantum leap from where I planned to be! So I thought of setting up a small studio with a client base of 1. I have all this gear lying around doing nothing so....

One of the problems I picked up when I first started was a lot of Bass buzz from my Fender Strat, feeding it straight into the Quartet, same problem with the 12 string and the Tokai, the Bass Guitar was a nightmare. Keyboard did not sound too bad at all. So I thought perhaps a mixer in the loop would be the way to go to feed in and out of the quartet, if that makes sense to anyone.

All I am trying to do is have fun with my music.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:01 AM

Judging by what you say you are trying to achieve, I'd say to keep it simple and ditch the mixer. If all you are doing is recording guitars, adding a component into the signal chain is not going to fix any noise problems and the quartet is fully capable of handling your I/O needs.

The "Bass Buzz" is most likely a ground issue or faulty guitar cable.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O