Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2013, 04:38 AM

Default Input monitoring in PT 11 ?

I understand that PT 11 has a potential for low latency monitoring by using a small input buffer.

I use a non Avid interface (metric halo ULN2) and use it's excellent internal mixer to monitor what I am recording.

PT 10 allows "low latency monitoring" which is effectively an auto mute on a armed recording channel with outputs 1-2.

There are situations where I route recording channels to outputs other than 1-2.

This results in having to mute and un-mute channels for every recording pass and listen back.

Does PT 11 extend "low latency monitoring" (auto muting) to all channels on non Avid interfaces?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:45 AM

Default Re: Input monitoring in PT 11 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by queemacarthur View Post
I understand that PT 11 has a potential for low latency monitoring by using a small input buffer.

I use a non Avid interface (metric halo ULN2) and use it's excellent internal mixer to monitor what I am recording.

PT 10 allows "low latency monitoring" which is effectively an auto mute on a armed recording channel with outputs 1-2.

There are situations where I route recording channels to outputs other than 1-2.

This results in having to mute and un-mute channels for every recording pass and listen back.

Does PT 11 extend "low latency monitoring" (auto muting) to all channels on non Avid interfaces?
My impression was active inputs. No mention of if this was Avid interface specific. I think that this was a general improvement. And that's a guess on my part. I'm sure more details will come forth between now and the official launch.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-09-2013, 08:05 AM

From what I saw on the webinar yesterday, you can set the input buffer separately from the playback buffer, 64 and even 32 samples were mentioned. So my understanding is that's how it works, input channels are independent of play/output channels and (again from the questions answered on the subject) not interface specific as it's being done in PT not the audio interface.
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 04-09-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradch00 View Post
From what I saw on the webinar yesterday, you can set the input buffer separately from the playback buffer, 64 and even 32 samples were mentioned. So my understanding is that's how it works, input channels are independent of play/output channels and (again from the questions answered on the subject) not interface specific as it's being done in PT not the audio interface.
Will be very interesting to see how this ADC works :)
Old 04-09-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Will be very interesting to see how this ADC works :)
That was my thought exactly, unfortunately there wasn't enough time to answer all the questions, I did ask that...
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 04-09-2013, 09:26 AM

This is a problem that we as a community have been asking for ...For years.....New front office ..new plans....New ideas..Well here is one... this is customer service and the people are speaking..Why can't this be implemented ?We don't need those who already own the hardware kicking in..Some of us are working towards the transition and love working in pro tools in a more hot rod environment for the time being..Obviously our plans are to eventually work towards a full HD rig but its like being a Bass Player nobody gets to an SVT right away.....They get the 4-10 and a v4b .....This is a simple task and I am putting this towards new front office to consider a simple request that has been talked about for over 2 years now....
Old 04-09-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBB007 View Post
This is a problem that we as a community have been asking for ...For years.....New front office ..new plans....New ideas..Well here is one... this is customer service and the people are speaking..Why can't this be implemented ?We don't need those who already own the hardware kicking in..Some of us are working towards the transition and love working in pro tools in a more hot rod environment for the time being..Obviously our plans are to eventually work towards a full HD rig but its like being a Bass Player nobody gets to an SVT right away.....They get the 4-10 and a v4b .....This is a simple task and I am putting this towards new front office to consider a simple request that has been talked about for over 2 years now....
Its important to see how the new system works before claiming its broken. PT 11 addresses many very long running user feature requests. I'm sure a lot of the remaining ones will get worked into the next version. The bottom line is a lot had to happen under the hood for PT 11 to happen.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88