Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2017, 01:43 PM

Default Cannot get any sound out of my 003 and into my surround sound pre-amplifier, can anyo

Hello everyone

I am running ProTools 11 on a Windows seven 64 bit based pc. My hardware is the 003, and ever cince I had a new surround system installed, I have had troubles getting sound out of the 003's optical port and into my Classé preamplifier. I want to be able to monitor what ever I am dooing on my B&W speakers connected to the surround system.

I have been into the hardware setup, as I asume that my problem perhaps lies here. The clock source is here set to internal, and the optical format is set to spdf and not optical, as I gather would be the correct setting in order to get anything out of the 003?
I have been trying to change both the clock source to something else, as well as the optical format setting, but I am not able to make this change for some reason.
As for the clock source setting, I can pull Down the menue which changes to spdf, adat etc, however, each time I try changing to any of them, it reverts back to internal.
As for the Optical format setting, I am not able to change anything there at all, I mean no pull Down menue is availible, which I am sure it was the last time when I wanted to record something into the 003 via optical in.

I do hope that anyone inhere can come up with some suggestion as how to solve this problem.
Oh, and BTW I have also tried trashing all preferences etc via the trashure app, but to no availe.

All the best from Allan
Old 02-27-2017, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Cannot get any sound out of my 003 and into my surround sound pre-amplifier, can

First, if you are using the 003 as your Windows audio device, don't. Set Windows to use the onboard I/O instead.

If you intend to send audio from the 003 to your receiver, then the clock has to stay on internal since the 003 will be the clock master.

The optical format has to be set to S/PDIF not ADAT. I doubt your receiver can accept an ADAT digital stream.

If you receiver has settings for the optical input format, make sure it's on PCM or whatever setting there may be for uncompressed audio.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 02-27-2017, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Cannot get any sound out of my 003 and into my surround sound pre-amplifier, can

Hello James

Thanks for your swift and for now very helpful reply. You managed to clear up a few Things for me.

First off, to answer your question concerning the digi003: No, I am not using the 003 as my Windows audio device, I am using the onboard soundcard alreddy, so that should be set right.
Thanks for clarafying the thing concerning the clock sourse setting. Good to know I dont have to worry about changing that. It is set to internal, and it'll stay that way.

Concerning the optical format setting, well, to me it looks like as if the ADAT setting is selected. I say it looks like it because I cannot be intirely sure. You se I am using ProTools and the 003 in conjunction with my screen reading software, due to the fact that I am visually impaired. When looking at the optical setting, I have the ADAT (44.1KHZ and 48.1 KHZ) only at the top, of my list, and just below it is the spdif option. When I try selecting it, it seem as if nothing is happening at all. Normally, when choosing for instance sample bitrate etc. in the I/O settings menue, I can tell that the change has taken place because the selected option will have swiched place to the top of the list, at least that is what my screen reader is telling me.

When going to output settings to choose the optical format, I have all of the ADAT options to choose from, plus the regular spdif options if using the spdif output on the 003.

I hope my writings makes somewhat sence to you, if not, please ask away, and I'll try clarafying.

All the best from Allan