Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2019, 06:59 PM

Default Laptop advice [Windows]

Hey gang, I'm on the hunt for a new laptop and after some input. My day to day machine is at work on a Windows machine running Pro Tools HD (11.3.2). I am much more comfortable with Windows, so I want to get a PC Laptop. I know Macbooks are much more preferred among the community but I just can't justify the step up in price, learning curve and having to use 2 different OS.

I've been doing my research - do the below specs sound reasonable? Laptop would be used for mixing radio promos & commercials which aren't too plugin heavy, but I don't want to be hamstrung. As I said it's not my day to day machine - more if I need to run Pro Tools at home, from time to time I might be required to edit an audio mix for a video. Would be used more often for basic web & document editing. I'm happy to use ASIO4ALL, as I don't require any inputs.

Is anyone using a machine with similar specs that they do or don't recommend?

* SSD: 512GB
* RAM: 16GB
* Screen: 15.6" or less
* Would like USB Type C availability, plus the usual array of USB & display options.

Processor & graphics card seem to be the most variable. I've seen a lot of gaming machines with an Intel Core i7-8750H. Is this suitable for Pro Tools or would one of the Intel i7 xxxxU variants be sufficient?

A lot of the gaming machines are running NVIDIA 4GB GTX 1050 or higher. Is this at all necessary for what I want to use the machine for, or only going to be useful if I want to do any gaming?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-28-2019, 04:40 AM

Default Re: Laptop advice [Windows]

The best advice anyone can give about buying a Windows laptop (beyond sheer specs) is to go through and delete all the crapware that comes on one. Most off the shelf machines have a lot of junk on them that will slow them down and you don't need.

Next best is to get a good audio interface even though you say you don't need inputs. For editing you'll need good audio and most built-in soundcards are lacking in that department. You only need ASIO4ALL as whatever interface you get should have it's own drivers.

Get what's called a dongle buddy (short extension cable) so the iLok isn't hard-plugged into the laptop. That way when things get bumped you won't shear-off the iLok from the computer

QAPLA!
Old 03-28-2019, 08:46 AM

Buddy has two ASUS ROG laptops and both work well for him. As above, reload Windows only - get W10 Pro so you can turn off updates and Windows Defender if you want (use Group Policy Editor). Do all the optimizations. See this thread.

More RAM better, but 16 gb will get you by.

Yes to a quad core i7, separate graphics card and yes to two SSD drives, one for OS, programs and plug-ins and one for sessions. You can get by with one SSD for all if it's big enough. If you're using VIs, put the samples on the OS drive - but get one big enough.

Others on here have had good performance from Lenovo T series laptops. Hopefully others will chime in with their experiences and laptop models. Do be careful as manufacturers will keep the same model number, but change the parts inside.

Also, be sure you have a backup plan. I use Macrium Reflect nightly for both my OS and Audio drive.

HTH
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 03-28-2019, 09:20 AM

+1 to delete all bloatware !!! Plus all the usual optimizations, of course.

Several years ago I got an HP laptop (under-powered by today's standards). The first thing I did was create a boot-drive image, then I carefully uninstalled all bloatware and killed all unnecessary startup items. I researched if I wasn't sure if a particular process was safe to delete or not. Another boot image, install PT, and I was off and running. I do not stress this rig at all; I use it for small remote gigs only - i.e. never for lots of tracks, serious mixing, or VIs. I run at a large buffer and have disabled the internet connection. Recently I swapped the original HDD for an SSD, and it runs even better now.

Rock solid !!!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume