Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2018, 08:26 PM

Default PT (non-HD) video out box for iMac

Ill be buying a new iMac soon (waiting for the new releases on Oct 30, 2018).

I will have PT 10, 11, and 12 on it. Ill mostly be using 11 since that’s what I use at work.

But it won’t be the HD version.

I will also have a TV setup for ADR and sound FX.

Given this setup, how can I get video displayed on the TV? I prefer the video-out method that’s built into PT, rather than having the TV setup as a second monitor with an extended desktop (where I’d have to drag the video screen window maximize to fill the screen).

I’m looking at Blackmagic, AJA, and Apogee, and they have solutions, but they start at $1000! I am hoping for a solution that does not cost this much.

How do you folks who are in similar situations handle this?
Old 10-26-2018, 08:38 PM

Default Re: PT (non-HD) video out box for iMac

You won’t be running 10, 11, and 12 if the new Mac is locked to Mojave and later.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:11 AM

Maybe he could downgrade ?
And for the video out, have a look at Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Monitor.
MAC Pro "Trash can" - Pro Tools HDX + Ultimate 2021.12/Avid C|24/S3/ProTools|Dock. Blackmagic.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:52 AM

The definition of locked (and they are likely to be if there are major hardware upgrades) is you can’t downgrade. The point is nobody should hope what they will run on any future Mac, the devil is in the details. And if the driving need is to run old Pro Tools releases like this you may well end up purchasing a used Mac.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:23 PM

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...-mojave-10-14/

Maybe.
MAC Pro "Trash can" - Pro Tools HDX + Ultimate 2021.12/Avid C|24/S3/ProTools|Dock. Blackmagic.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:33 PM

Jesus, what is so complex here. If it is locked to that version of MacOS you can’t downgrade it. If not you can. “locked” happens at major hardware upgrades. So how about the OP waits and finds out.

And those Sweetwater instructions are particularly useless as they don’t tell the reader how to check what minimal macOS is required for their hardware.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:34 PM

What Darryl said about Pro Tools version. New iMac will come with Mojave. You won't be able to run 10/11/or 12. You will need to run a future version of Pro Tools 2018. That's how it works.
You can't put older macOS versions on new hardware as there are required macOS changes (hardware drivers) in the version that comes with the computer.

As for video out, Blackmagic is hit or miss (even though, strangely, Avid partnered with them.) AJA is much better. It's going to cost to do a video out solution but, at the end of the day, doing the second monitor is your best solution. No worry about codecs, driver compatibility, and such. Saved sessions remember picture position.

The video out is only great if you are using a gen lock system -- which you aren't -- for picture frame/accuracy.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:26 PM

I was SOOOOOOOOOOO looking forward to dishing out $4k+ on a whole new home setup with the latest equipment, and now I’m borderline devastated about the compatibility issues. It’s beyond frustrating. I wouldn’t mind upgrading PT, except I do NOT want the subscription-based platform. I just can’t go there. I already paid for 10, 11, and 12, and I use 10 & 11 at work, so I want to stay on the same system. I will probably buy the new iMac and see how PT holds up. If it’s horrible, then I can return it within 14 days (I think).

As for the video out solution, I will already have a dual-monitor hookup (using an actual computer monitor the same size as the iMac). The TV would be a 3rd monitor. But I don’t even know if 3 monitors is possible. Is it??? If so, then maybe I would just use that as an extended-extended-desktop.

As for I/O boxes, what are your opinions of these devices?:

Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Monitor - $200
Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt) - $250
AJA IO Express - $1000

I’m guessing the more I spend, the better the reliability. But I’ve never played with any of these types of devices, so I don’t know what to expect.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:51 PM

You have to make careful decisions here. And you can prep stuff with a test boot disk to try to boot the new iMac from so you can test fast.. or wait and see/ask if they are downgradable. Personally I would try to get on 2018 and see if you can work/round trip your sessions that way. Pro Tools 10... just give up on unless you have a really clear reason to *need* it, in which case... likely used Macs to the rescue.

Avid has been making slow but good improvements and you may not even have access to great stuff like disk cache in your old (pre 12.6?) licensing...

And who knows maybe using 2018 will encourage your work to upgrade in future. $300 for a license reup is the smallest part of your costs here... don’t forget to check all the plugin compatibility as well.