Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-06-2005, 07:09 AM

Default Firewire or SCSI drives

Just curious to see if firewire is replacing SCSI in terms of everyday use on Protools systems?

As I plan to upgrade my system, I'm wondering if I need to carry over my Atto card to the new system(or perhaps purchase as new one as needed with many other components in my upgrade)

Thanks
Old 08-06-2005, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Firewire or SCSI drives

Anders,

SCSI can be cumbersome with the advent of Firewire, ease of use and moving around.

Since u have the ATTO no point chucking it away. never know when it may come handy.

Baylon
Old 08-06-2005, 12:42 PM

anders,

i'd look onto SATA. internal or external. will give you more speed and capacity in the long-run.

but if you don't want to spend money, then stay with SCSI and your ATTO card (make sure it will work in the new system) my SCSI 128-kit with the Express PCI UL3D works just fine in my G5. for high track counts and dense edits, SCSI is better FW. and SATA is even better.

i have had terrible luck with FW and i don't trust them. but lots of people successfully use them and have found very reliable brands.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 08-07-2005, 12:12 AM

I'd say an SNS Fibre Drive -or- an SNS X4 iSCSI rig....Both very happening. I love the iSCSI stuff. Hard Drives down an Ethernet line, 100+ off a drive, no slot. Cool.

My .02
-Todd A.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:23 AM

I have 2 FW drives that died within a year. I have not a single SCSI drive that ever died in many years.

Frank.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I have 2 FW drives that died within a year. I have not a single SCSI drive that ever died in many years.

Frank.
right! But it´s the firewire cases and controllers that are crap, not ATA disks...
but I had a SCSI server that burned away ))

mubeau
Old 08-09-2005, 10:03 PM

It´s maily the FW connector that is crap. On a FW plug the power voltage and GND are so close together that the slightest bending leads to a short and fries the FW port of the computer. Happened to already twice in a large studio I work for sometimes. Also the plug doesn´t´interlock and the shape isn´t very nice. It is possible to plug in a FW cable the wrong way round on some drives because the fit is too loose.

I think FW is kinda good and bad. Hope some day computer developers will take a look how audio plugs are made. Hope Neutrik will come up with a FW plug just like their ethernet plug in a XLR housing.

Frank.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:06 PM

Quote:

right! But it´s the firewire cases and controllers that are crap, not ATA disks...
but I had a SCSI server that burned away ))

mubeau
What difference does it make for the user wether the drive is crap or the housing?

Frank.