Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-29-2007, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE Vista

Oh, well it looks like at least another six months before I can use my high powered PC. It won't even be new anymore.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:53 PM

As mentioned earlier, if you can spare $60 or less for another drive and under $100 for XP Home, you can just dual boot to use PT on your new machine. Not ideal solution, but it works and is relative inexpensive.

Maybe Digi could give free 7.4 updates to folks who have Vista pre-installed machines since folks have to buy XP home and another drive. I'm only half joking about that.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:26 AM

I guess you haven't heard the latest "bad" news. They're going to miss the summer promise for a Vista version of protools and it is now looking like winter. Here is a quote of the announcement:

While Digidesign originally anticipated bringing the entire Pro Tools® product line to Microsoft’s new Windows Vista operating system during the summer of 2007, delays in software development have occurred. We now expect to release Vista-compatible versions of Pro Tools LE® and Pro Tools M-Powered™ in winter 2007/2008.

Because Pro Tools software will not function with Windows Vista at this time, please wait to upgrade your operating system if you’re using Pro Tools on Windows. Stay tuned – all the power of Pro Tools paired with the benefits of Windows Vista is coming soon.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. Frankly, this is fine and dandy, but it would have been nice if this news was given in the Digidesign Announcements Forum. Not asking too much folks. And what about people who need to replace their "falling apart" laptop? I don't mind waiting to upgrade my O.S. if my freaking 2002 laptop was not disintegrating before my eyes.

OO2R & Mbox2 Owner
Old 08-30-2007, 12:12 PM

$160 may not be much, but it is frustrating that I would have to spend the extra cash, that could go to plug-in upgrades, because we have to wait the year out for a program that is compatible with a new operating system that was announced many months before its January release. I may as well put that money into my old computer to keep it running while we wait for PT for Vista. One last thing, most of the plug-in I use seem to be Vista compatible. Should I use them as stand alone until PT 7.4 (or PT Vista) is released?
Old 08-30-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
$160 may not be much, but it is frustrating that I would have to spend the extra cash, that could go to plug-in upgrades, because we have to wait the year out for a program that is compatible with a new operating system that was announced many months before its January release. I may as well put that money into my old computer to keep it running while we wait for PT for Vista. One last thing, most of the plug-in I use seem to be Vista compatible. Should I use them as stand alone until PT 7.4 is released?
yes
Old 08-30-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Should I use them as stand alone until PT 7.4 is released?
My guess is that 7.4 will be out pretty soon.... it just won't include Vista support.

ie. PTLE7.4 does NOT equal Vista.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:04 PM

In hindsight, my opinion is that Digi should have focused on Vista comptibility for 2007 instead of giving the OO2 a newer exterior, few improvements, and a simple name change. If you are going to try to gain new customers, why give them the added burden of having to build a new computer during the process. As if not addding more obstacles is bad enough, come on Digi.

Majority of todays software is Vista compatible!!!

OO2R & Mbox2 owner
Old 09-03-2007, 06:19 PM

I don't know why everyone is so surprised. XP was out a lot longer than this before a PT version was released for it.

Even if Digi brought out a PT-Vista version tomorrow, I won't change till Vista has at least one service pack, and all my mates in the IT industry agree that it's stable.

Personally for my DAW, I'd rather a stable OS over the latest bells and whistles.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I don't know why everyone is so surprised. XP was out a lot longer than this before a PT version was released for it.

Difference is Digi promised a summer release back in March.