Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-12-2005, 01:02 PM

Default Kontakt 2 Stand Alone vs RTAS, Kontakt vs Giga

Just got Kontakt 2 going on my system (PT 6.4.1, Mix Plus, Dual 1.42 G4). Works a lot better than version 1.5 in RTAS, but still won't give me the same amount of voices that it does as a Stand Alone app. Assuming this must be a limitation of RTAS, as well as having to share ram with PT. Any thoughts?

Also, I'm thinking of the possibility of getting a second Mac just to run Kontakt (controlled via Apple remote desktop) and an inexpensive FW i/o box (i.e MOTU) to tie into PT. Admittedly this isn't nearly as cool as doing it all in RTAS on the host machine, but I'm going to need a lot of voices (orchestral simulation). I know a lot of Giga people do it this way (it's their only choice). Does anyone out there have any experience with this scenario? Given the necessity of having a second machine, is Giga better than Kontakt in terms of voices / disk streaming? I'd really rather not have to deal with PC's, but If Giga is better then I'll have to.

Thanks in advance

-Ryan
Old 05-12-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Kontakt 2 Stand Alone vs RTAS, Kontakt vs Giga

I am in the exact boat and I have researched this deeply. As far a cost gigastudio 3.1 with a rack mounted Pc is the cheepest way to run. Syncing though Midi, and adding an M-Audio card to send audio over to Pro-Tools Pipe light 16 tracks etc... Pc's are about $ 1000.00 cheaper than a new G 5 and ram is cheaper too. And you can share moniters, via cheep switcher boxes $ 60.00, I will keep an eye on this link too, as i am about to pull the same trigger. i didn't even mention stability. Just think of the Pc as a huge sound module sync via midi. The track count is limitless, with right about of Ram. i am going to a siminar tonight about giga 3.1 and will up date tonight when I return. Cost etc...information.

[email protected]
Intel duel Quad core
PT 8.0cs3
HD4
D Command / D control
Old 05-12-2005, 03:02 PM

just my opinion but nothin beats gigastudio orchestra. couldn't live without it..have the others but always go to giga when detail is important.make sure you sound card is gsif2 complient.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:31 PM

I also run 6.4.1 mix plus, G4 dual 800. I have a 2nd G4 that I run Kontakt or whatever I need at the time through a Digi001 or an RME card. I recently picked up a very cheap PC ($300)! and bought the competitive crossgrade offer for Giga 3. I put my RME card in it and was shocked at how well it works! I don't push it to much, just some different flavors. I really like Giga and I'm an old mac user.

I haven't tried Kontakt 2 as a RTAS plug yet. Version 1.5 seemed buggy and I kind of gave up on running anything with Protools exept the Very Efficient Reason!! Speaking of Reason, CDxtract will convert giga & Kontakt files to its NNXT Sampler. Works pretty well most of the time.

Kontakt works great on its own and it sure is nice not bogging down my Mix System. When I don't need kontakt My 2nd G4 runs Protools LE sitting idol with other plugs, Spectrasonic's stuff / Sampletank_mostly Crap! Sometimes A Reverb or Two.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:35 PM

Just return from Giga studio 3.1 show at RSPE, in La. Well the converstions about Kontakt 2 and compatability issuess on Roland catalouge, AKAi etc.. were a large concern. also issues of media compatibilies, ie Moss drives, etc..The new options on giga were very impressive, and the new drum lib from Larry Seyer was unbelivable. I had a few issues with sample rates but other than that it was a large improvment in flexibility from other drum libs., though I still love my BFD XFL as my main drum programing tool. The new version of Giga is vastly improved, better controls both midi and multi layering, easy setup and very cool convoluted reverb settings.. The basic cost difference between Mac basic and PC is about $ 1000.00 with PC winning. Yes it will mean a dedicated system but with libs. getting so large and the need for a seperate system running string lib.s this is the ticket. My local rep will be pleased!! The voice count is limitless with Giga, rewire, VST plug in support, 96k, unlimited instrument stacking, and more, not to mention a more stable formate, I''ll just think of it as a sound module called Giga Pulse Studio 3.1 and not a PC!!

[email protected]
Intel duel Quad core
PT 8.0cs3
HD4
D Command / D control
Old 05-13-2005, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Pc's are about $ 1000.00 cheaper than a new G 5 and ram is cheaper too.
It depends.
Speed wise the Apple G5 Dual 2GHz is in the league of the Dual Xeon 3.4 GHz PC and still in many occasions the G5 is twice as fast. Not to mention the internal bus speed of the Apple G5. Finally the price difference is huge when you have to pay around $8000 to get the Xeon system with comparable setup to a standard G5 Dual system. And again the PC is still a PeeCee.
If you look at the slower systems the Apple Mini again beats the price of many PC systems in that speed league.
Can you see that I’m an Apple enthusiast?

Pro-Tools 10.3.10 HD 2 Accel PCIe
OSX 10.10.3
Old 05-13-2005, 11:08 AM

it am a Mac guy and will always be. but the rack mounted 3 space pent 4 3.2 GHz 800 FSB is still $ 1000.00 cheeper than a G 5 2.0 with equal ram on either one. My questions is to the original guys post question, how much ram does your stand alone Kontakt 2 have and what machine are you using. it seems that what you need is more ram, I have 4.5 gig's and want to use either Kontakt 2 or Mach5 II in the same computer, then buy Opus 2 for the venienna Stgs catalouge. That's where i am leaning, espically after last night giga show 3.1.

[email protected]
Intel duel Quad core
PT 8.0cs3
HD4
D Command / D control
Old 05-13-2005, 11:51 AM

Ive been using Kontact 2 rtas on my pro tools LE system and I am really disgusted with its performance. After much searching around this seems to be caused by the rtas specification. Ive been using it with drumkit from hell 2. The vst version performs much better, so I got the fxpansion vst to rtas adapter (link) and it seems to be much improved. Havent had the audio drop out yet and bouncing tracks to disk is much better. Why not give it a try?
LaCie 160Gb External FW800 HD
Alesis M1 Active MkII
Old 05-13-2005, 11:55 AM

I am not sure at this moment but I think two Mini Mac or a Dual G4 is faster than the one Pentium 4 3.2 GHz unless you want to use Giga sampler. It is a shame that there is no Giga Sampler for the Mac, however Kontak 2 and even Mach Five is a nice remedy for that.
About the memory usage:
Yes you need lots of RAM or you have to use Disk Streaming. Sometimes I do use the Disk Streaming in a limited way with Mach Five and Kontakt with no problems at all, since I have 2.5GB RAM in my G5 Dual 2 GHz.

OSX 10.10.3
Old 05-13-2005, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I got the fxpansion vst to rtas adapter and it seems to be much improved. Havent had the audio drop out yet and bouncing tracks to disk is much better. Why not give it a try?
How does this adapter works? Isn't the VST to RTAS adapter emulates a VST environment for the VST Plug Ins?
If it does than how come it is faster or better than the original RTAS code?

OSX 10.10.3