Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 09-19-2017, 09:59 PM

Default Midi keyboard with Pro Tools Express

Hi, I have Protools 10 Express and I have just bought a Novation Launchkey 61 midi controller which I have connected via USB to my laptop (Windows 10 OS). The Youtube tutorials tell me to go to Set Up, Midi, Midi Studio and I should be able to find my controller listed but it isn't. In fact that tab looks different to the ones shown in the tutorials. If I go into Peripherals and open up one of the 4 coloured boxes under type my keboard is listed. Maybe I'm setting up the Receive from and send to wrong. I also keep getting an error message "Protools is unable to communicatewith M-Audio keboard...." which goes on to say check connections and update peripherals. All the tutorials say that its easy to set up a midi controller with Protools but I can'r seem to get mine to talk to each other. Please help. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:49 AM

Default Re: Midi keyboard with Protools Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazjay View Post
Hi, I have Protools 10 Express and I have just bought a Novation Launchkey 61 midi controller which I have connected via USB to my laptop (Windows 10 OS). The Youtube tutorials tell me to go to Set Up, Midi, Midi Studio and I should be able to find my controller listed but it isn't. In fact that tab looks different to the ones shown in the tutorials. If I go into Peripherals and open up one of the 4 coloured boxes under type my keboard is listed. Maybe I'm setting up the Receive from and send to wrong. I also keep getting an error message "Protools is unable to communicatewith M-Audio keboard...." which goes on to say check connections and update peripherals. All the tutorials say that its easy to set up a midi controller with Protools but I can'r seem to get mine to talk to each other. Please help. Thanks.
Have you turned off the power savings measures for the USB ports in Windows Control Panel? You really need to do that.

A bigger problem though is you're using a combo of PT and Windows that are not compatible with each other. See this page: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart

QAPLA!
Old 09-20-2017, 08:52 AM

Hmmm, compatibility might be the issue, but having said that, go into Setup>Midi>Midi studio again and click the Input Port "button" to see if the Novation is listed there(this is the place that really matters). It would probably look something like "Novation USB[Emulated]"(without the quotes). If it appears there, select it and test. If there is nothing there mentioning the Novation, it could be incompatibility or maybe you need to install a new driver(check the Novation website for Windows 10 drivers). Hope you have success. My own attempt at using Novation gear was a bust(but this was years ago)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-20-2017, 05:40 PM

Thanks guys for the replies. Jack, I have been using this combo of Windows 10 and PT for a couple of years with no issues up until trying to add this midi controller. Not sure how to turn off the power savings measures for the USB ports. I have been all through the settings in the control panel but can't find where I need to do that. Dave, if I go into the Midi studio set up and click import it gives me a warning message "Importing another Midi studio set up will replace the currently active set up. Do you wish to proceed?" So I didn't proceed cos I didn't know what I would be wiping.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:39 PM

Re Import, you don't have a working midi studio setup so you have nothing to import. In that window, create a new "instrument". Name it as you like(it makes no difference in function). Brand and model are also not required. The crucial setting is the Midi Input Port. Until that is set, PT doesn't know where to expect midi data

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-20-2017, 09:38 PM

Hi Dave
Ok I have done as suggested, gone into midi studio set up and created a new instrument. My input port now gives me 2 options Launchkey MIDI and MIDIIN2 (Launchkey) and my output port also has 2 options Launchkey Midi (Emulated) and MIDIOUT2 (Launchkey Midi Emulated). Not sure which combinations to choose here, the launchkey I have is a series 2 some I'm guessing the second option on both. I then have send and receive channels both showing 16 channels hilighted in blue......
Old 09-21-2017, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazjay View Post
Thanks guys for the replies. Jack, I have been using this combo of Windows 10 and PT for a couple of years with no issues up until trying to add this midi controller. Not sure how to turn off the power savings measures for the USB ports. I have been all through the settings in the control panel but can't find where I need to do that. Dave, if I go into the Midi studio set up and click import it gives me a warning message "Importing another Midi studio set up will replace the currently active set up. Do you wish to proceed?" So I didn't proceed cos I didn't know what I would be wiping.
It doesn't matter that you've been using an incompatible system for years without issues. You're having issues now that are more likely than not the result of an incompatible PT version and Windows version. As to turning off the power savings measures for the USB ports you have to dig into the Windows Control Panel. Here's two links courtesy of a simple Google search that will get you to the same thing:
https://pattersonsupport.custhelp.co...ows-7-machines

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en...nected-Devices

QAPLA!