Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2016, 08:10 AM

Default What's the reason for irregular backups??

Hi,

I hope someone can help with this..

I'm running Pro Tools 12.4.0.294

Not for the first time in my ProTools history, i've gone to look for the latest auto-backup due to an old plugin crashing my whole session. The latest one I could find was over an hour ago. I just made some great moves in the last 15 minutes and even though my auto-backup is set to 'every 10 minutes', this clearly wasn't working.

This has actually happened many times over the years but instead of me posting on the DUC, i'm usually rushing back to remember what I just did. On this occasion I roughly remember, so I thought i'd check to see if anybody can help with this ridiculous situation before I go back and try to replicate the moves.

Ok, i'm a donut for not cmd+saving every minute but sometimes you just get in the zone. Does anyone else have this problem, and does anyone have a workaround so that Pro Tools reliably backs up every 10minutes.

Many thanks in advance.

PS. Why doesn't Pro Tools automatically save the session during a crash the was Logic does?

Last edited by thierryhenry; 10-12-2016 at 08:32 AM. Reason: To say what version of PT i'm running
Old 10-12-2016, 08:31 AM

Default Re: What's the reason for irregular backups??

I've noticed this as well which is why I set preferences to 99 backups every minute. The longest 'spread' I've had is on a auto backup was 3 minutes. I'd suggest trying that if possible.

I also use a Mac App called SyncTime (app store) to back up any changes to my Pro Tools sessions folder every 10 minutes to an external SSD drive. JUST in case my primary drive should crash, I have a backup. This app will only modify files that have been changed. Works very well.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
I've noticed this as well which is why I set preferences to 99 backups every minute. The longest 'spread' I've had is on a auto backup was 3 minutes. I'd suggest trying that if possible.

I also use a Mac App called SyncTime (app store) to back up any changes to my Pro Tools sessions folder every 10 minutes to an external SSD drive. JUST in case my primary drive should crash, I have a backup. This app will only modify files that have been changed. Works very well.
Thanks for this, good to know. I've changed my backups to every 3minutes now- 10minutes was definitely too long.

I use time machine but that's only every hour so I should probably look to start using SyncTime or similar, as you just mentioned.

Thanks for the help, I hope Avid are taking note of this problem! I think it's something more people would make a note of if they didn't have to rush back to open the session and try to remember what they just did!
Old 10-12-2016, 04:17 PM

Glad I could help. I'm SO anal about having backups. Losing even 5 minutes of work really makes me crazy...guess it's the work load.

I also agree that, like Logic and Live, Pro Tools should save a file (even with a modified name) the moment it crashes. I LOVE that feature with Live.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:31 PM

It's for reasons like this that (no joke) my left hand is permanently bent into the cmd-s position. Right hand types and/or mouses and the left hand saves. Sometimes being a drummer and ambidextrous helps.

QAPLA!
Old 10-13-2016, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
It's for reasons like this that (no joke) my left hand is permanently bent into the cmd-s position. Right hand types and/or mouses and the left hand saves. Sometimes being a drummer and ambidextrous helps.

HELL YEAH!!!

I even have mine set to back up every minute and some times when I get a crash, my last back is sometimes up to 10 minutes ago. WTF?! When it does work it does backup properly every minute, but it just seems like when there is a crash, the backup from 1 minute before the crash is nowhere to be found! Losing even two minutes of eq'ing, leveling, or automation can be devastating!

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 10-13-2016, 06:43 AM

This may or may not be relevant, but no backups occur when ProTools is playing.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:49 PM

FWIW and as i understand it...PT will only back up when playback has been stopped and IF there have been changes made. so it will not backup IF one has not made any changes during the set timed interval. one has to use the shortcuts to grab backups when playback has not been stopped. i could have sworn this was different back in PT7/8 days but i was told it wasn't. regardless set the interval low and rely on stopped playback and/or use the shortcut to capture when constantly rolling. hope that helps…

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff

Last edited by mykhal c; 10-15-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:06 PM

for some reason i cant post my full reply...get server access errors

EDIT: resolved

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff

Last edited by mykhal c; 10-15-2016 at 01:53 PM.