Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2018, 11:45 AM

Default Re: MTRX hookup question, Dante vs Digilink

If you want digital system audio into the MTRX and you’re using a Mac Pro you can run an optical cable from the headphone jack of the Mac into the optical input of the MTRX. This can then be routed into Pro Tools through DADMan and also assigned as a selectable source for monitoring.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:56 AM

Ah, I didn't realize the Line Out on the Mac Pro was a Mini Toslink jack, thanks. Not sure about the headphone jack, but at least the Line Out is.

Does this also mean that Pro Tools needs to be open with the correct routing for this to work, and that if I want to play system audio without Pro Tools open, it's not possible? Thanks.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:06 PM

“Line Out”. Right. I was thinking about an older MacBook Pro having only one jack but Mac Pro has two.

How is your monitoring setup?

With the DADMan application running you won’t need to have Pro Tools running to hear system audio. It will just need to be setup as a a source when you setup your monitoring profile in DADMan.

The MATRX/DADMan serves as its own router for any set of inputs and outputs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2018, 12:09 PM

That's great to know that DADMan will handle that without Pro Tools, thanks for the info. I don't have the setup yet, just going through options before I place the order.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
If you want digital system audio into the MTRX and you’re using a Mac Pro you can run an optical cable from the headphone jack of the Mac into the optical input of the MTRX.
Where is this optical input on the MTRX (or even as an option card)?

You have optical MADI but you do not have toslink/adat optical on the MTRX.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:19 PM

Indeed. I stand corrected. I thought the optional optical I/O card would handle TOSLINK.

As an alternative one could use a TOSLINK to AES/EBU converter into the MTRX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
As an alternative one could use a TOSLINK to AES/EBU converter into the MTRX.
I do this for one set of the MTRX's in-built AES/EBU with an RME ADI-192 converter. Bonus is it adds sample rate independence to the built-in AES for those connections going through the RME (there is no auto SRC on the MTRX AES inputs built-in -- only on the add-in AES card.) That may not seem like a big deal but it allows system sounds to be at any sample rate and not be forced to follow the MTRX/Pro Tools session current sample rate. (ie, I can play back a 96kHz file from the computer in RX7 while Pro Tools is open and locked to a 44.1k session)

Last edited by BScout; 01-01-2019 at 10:28 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-01-2019, 09:24 AM

I was planning on going Mac Toslink out to AES on the MTRX, but not looking for another rack-size box just for conversion. So far can't find any smaller options.

If a standard converter without conversion is used, does it mean that iTunes or 44.1K system audio would play back at a different pitch when feeding a 48K PT session?
Old 01-01-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
That's great to know that DADMan will handle that without Pro Tools, thanks for the info. I don't have the setup yet, just going through options before I place the order.

Think of it like a standalone box that happens to have mini digilink as one if it’s inputs. It’s totally independent of Pro Tools.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 01-01-2019, 09:38 AM

Thanks, just placed the MTRX order yesterday, should receive it later this week. Looking forward to trying out some of these hookup options.