Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Avid Cloud Collaboration

Old 01-24-2015, 05:22 AM

Default Re: Yes to cloud collaboration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
And what will various governments say about that? David Cameron (UK PM) wants to be able to read everyone's messages and such going over the net. Perhaps Avid has learned how to do solid encryption ala Apple with the new iPhone or Blackberry?
This isn't about governments. It's about any kind of attacker who is interested in the content for whatever reason. If only to protect the data from programming errors and 0-day-exploits.

But since Cameron wants to make encryption illegal and force companies to enable back doors and the FBI is calling for a "magic golden key" for agencies I wonder what makes them think those backdoors won't be discovered by all sorts of other attackers.

Anyway my point was that nowadays a system with solid end-to-end encryption is very important. Especially if they want us to upload content for "The Interview II" or the next Star Wars film. ;-)

I'm sure we will learn soon and it's too early at this point.

Frank.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:26 AM

The security concern is legitimate. I was working for a company about a year and a half ago (not large, but 5 times the market cap of Avid) that used cloud based servers. In short, the company we were renting server space from had an employee that had a "bad day" and intentionally deleted nearly all of our files in less than an hour before he was discovered. Who would have ever thought something like that could happen? This wasn't hacking from the outside.

I won't go into the details of how we recovered over the next 4 days but it was very, very difficult. (Think about accounts receivable when you do 1800 transactions per day electronically.)

Point is, while my situation wasn't exactly the same, security of something you don't personally manage can be a real concern.

Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .
Old 01-24-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
What's the point of a cloud that's not connected to the internet 24/7?
How will your collaborators access the data when they need it?

Frank.
Peer to peer, which is a better way to directly share/exchange content, unlike the server/client architecture.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-24-2015, 12:55 PM

In the demo that I saw of the cloud collaboration, the Protools Cloud Collaboration was peer to peer. Media Composer, on the other hand HAS to use their Media Play (I guess they are calling it AirSpeed now) and ISIS systems. The remote units only get a data feed and downgraded audio/video feed because of the bandwidth requirements.

The Protools collaboration was strictly peer to peer. Though they were not able to define what level of broadband internet bandwidth would be required, or even if it would work on an asynchronous connection (as most cable and DSL modems are).

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 01-25-2015, 03:24 PM

Can I still store my sessions on my hard drive in PT12?

I am not interested about the cloud thing.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Can I still store my sessions on my hard drive in PT12?

I am not interested about the cloud thing.
I'm sure that PT12 stores sessions on the hard drive in the same way that every other version of PT has.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
I'm sure that PT12 stores sessions on the hard drive in the same way that every other version of PT has.
Of course it will store sessions as usual!

The Cloud is for peer to peer colaboration and storage on a clous is optional and you will get X amount of GB free and be able to pay for GB when needed but as far as saving sessions it will be the same as it is now. Anything else would be suicide for Avid.

Imagine if you are out on the road and no internet connection, how would you access your sessions then? It will be optional to use the cloud storage.

Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-25-2015, 06:04 PM

Who would have thought that could happen? Me, for one. I have never understood the fascination with "the cloud". In addition to the grave security concerns that you mentioned, the dependence on an internet connection is also disconcerting. It's a significant risk to make your company dependent on an internet provider. And there is, not just the internet connection itself, but how fast it is. I was in IT for 25 years. People jump on the latest buzzword technology, often without thinking of the long-term ramifications.

As an aside, many of the same concerns should be applied to offshore development. Do you really want your most precious business knowledge residing on servers on the other side of the world? Very short-sighted IMO.

I'll get off my soapbox now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
The security concern is legitimate. I was working for a company about a year and a half ago (not large, but 5 times the market cap of Avid) that used cloud based servers. In short, the company we were renting server space from had an employee that had a "bad day" and intentionally deleted nearly all of our files in less than an hour before he was discovered. Who would have ever thought something like that could happen? This wasn't hacking from the outside.

I won't go into the details of how we recovered over the next 4 days but it was very, very difficult. (Think about accounts receivable when you do 1800 transactions per day electronically.)

Point is, while my situation wasn't exactly the same, security of something you don't personally manage can be a real concern.

Greg
Old 01-25-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
It's a significant risk to make your company dependent on an internet provider.
We are completely dependent. I wouldn't be able to operate for more than a day. Raise your hand if any of you reading this sent your work via FedEx in the last year.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
We are completely dependent. I wouldn't be able to operate for more than a day. Raise your hand if any of you reading this sent your work via FedEx in the last year.
or sent a real letter over an email

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig