Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2016, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Fine breakpoint adjustment change in 12.6 = Showstopper

I prefer the old way too. Definitely need a Preference that toggles the old and new behavior.

Anyone put this on IdeaScale yet?

And this thread should definitely be a Sticky.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 10-01-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
You just click on the "line" to add a breakpoint. It honestly could not be easier.
Adding a breakpoint alone now has other issues, which I really didn't want to go into, but I put it out there so here goes. There are two ways to do this and both behave differently.

• Click on a line adds a breakpoint
  • Ctrl+Click adds a breakpoint

Have you tried this using the Smart Tool? Have a look brotha Steve. It's Ctrl+Click, which brings on other issues you'll notice, including the omission of the new grid toggle in slip mode.

Also, doing the main discussed action using the smart tool now requires this new clunky and quirky sequence:

Ctrl > Click > Shift+Alt > Drag

It's broken, messed up, and just not well thought out. Certainly not an improvement. But wait, there's more...

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-01-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Adding a breakpoint alone now has other issues, which I really didn't want to spend time with, but I put it out there so here goes. There are two ways to do this and both behave differently.

• Click on a line adds a breakpoint
  • Ctrl+Click adds a breakpoint

Have you tried this using the Smart Tool? Have a look brotha Steve. It's Ctrl+Click, which brings on other issues you'll notice, including the omission of the new grid toggle in slip mode.

Also, doing the main discussed action using the smart tool now requires this new clunky and quirky sequence:

Ctrl > Click > Shift+Alt > Drag

It's broken, messed up, and just not well thought out. Certainly not an improvement. But wait, there's more...

Shane
I have been doing cntrl+shft > click > alt as needed for horizontal or free. You don't have to click first and you don't have to hit cntrl first then click then the other modifiers. It has not required anything special. I just lay my pinky across cntrl-shft, so its no real different than a single modifier. I think you are analyzing possible scenarios and not just "going with it" and realizing its simpler than what you may think.

I do not use the smart tool so I can't comment on breakpoints with it. I will have a look at it though when I get time. But to create breakpoints, I have just clicked on the line wherever I wanted it.

All in all for me, these changes have not slowed me down any. In some areas they have actually sped me up and having unity across the modes is a nice change. But they did require a shift in muscle memory.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-01-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
I have been doing cntrl+shft > click > alt as needed for horizontal or free. You don't have to click first and you don't have to hit cntrl first then click then the other modifiers. It has not required anything special. I just lay my pinky across cntrl-shft, so its no real different than a single modifier. I think you are analyzing possible scenarios and not just "going with it" and realizing its simpler than what you may think.

I do not use the smart tool so I can't comment on breakpoints with it. I will have a look at it though when I get time. But to create breakpoints, I have just clicked on the line wherever I wanted it.

All in all for me, these changes have not slowed me down any. In some areas they have actually sped me up and having unity across the modes is a nice change. But they did require a shift in muscle memory.
I'm only putting forth the scenarios I use with MIDI the most, which apparently some also parallel with the post users. And there isn't unity across the modes entirely, as the new change doesn't work with the smart tool. I can't see that being an intentional omission, but you never know. The change certainly seemed like a great idea to me when I read it, but not after practical use. Adding the 2 additional modifiers is not an issue for myself, even though it is with other users, it's the quirky sequence now needed that is far from user friendly for the majority.

So what's the solution?
  • Revert back to the old behavior
  • Bring it back to the drawing board and rethink it
  • Live with it
  • Add a preference

I think we're at the point where a majority of the pros and cons have been put forth. The other related issues I've seen are insignificant to really bother looking at. It's up to Avid to decide at this point.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-01-2016, 04:42 PM

A preference.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-02-2016, 09:38 AM

Default Fine breakpoint adjustment change in 12.6 = Showstopper

New behavior is horrible.

Creating volume nodes with cmd (grid mode to avoid grid confinement) snaps the node to a grid line upon insertion. After that it works as expected—releasing and again holding cmd allows horizontal moment in between grid—but the entire behavior is a significant digression to workflow.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:58 AM

Preference.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 10-02-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basstian View Post
oh no. that is bad news. rendering pt 12.6 useless/impossible to use for dialog editing.

please avid revert this back
+1
Old 10-02-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
New behavior is horrible.

Creating volume nodes with cmd (grid mode to avoid grid confinement) snaps the node to a grid line upon insertion. After that it works as expected—releasing and again holding cmd allows horizontal moment in between grid—but the entire behavior is a significant digression to workflow.
You cant hold just cmd anymore to do this. You have to hold the "new" shortcut modifiers and it works fine.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-02-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
I'm only putting forth the scenarios I use with MIDI the most, which apparently some also parallel with the post users. And there isn't unity across the modes entirely, as the new change doesn't work with the smart tool. I can't see that being an intentional omission, but you never know. The change certainly seemed like a great idea to me when I read it, but not after practical use. Adding the 2 additional modifiers is not an issue for myself, even though it is with other users, it's the quirky sequence now needed that is far from user friendly for the majority.

So what's the solution?
  • Revert back to the old behavior
  • Bring it back to the drawing board and rethink it
  • Live with it
  • Add a preference

I think we're at the point where a majority of the pros and cons have been put forth. The other related issues I've seen are insignificant to really bother looking at. It's up to Avid to decide at this point.

Shane
I finally got time to test this with the smart tool. It works exactly as it should and follows the new paradigm.

You have to hold some sort of a modifer with the smart tool as it does not "react" to the "volume" line, it will be the selector tool for instance if you are not over top of a clip. This is the nature of the smart tool.

You can create a breakpoint holding cntrl or with cntrl-shift. Then it works from there just like it does when you are not using the smart tool. You can create a breakpoint holding cntrl-shft and just start moving it after you create it without letting off.

Everything is working correctly as intended. I don't see Avid changing it back nor adding a preference to change it back. I think its just a matter of everyone giving it a few minutes and just go for it and give it a bit of time to set in to muscle memory. I was absolutely not affected by it after a day.

Everything works as they intended, its just a change in the modifiers you hold.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10