Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2020, 06:51 PM

Default What are the network requirements in detail?

I've recently moved my setup back home. I'm using the Dock and iPad with a router from my internet service provider. The router is decent no issues there. It dishes out DHCP and Wi-Fi. The Dock and iPad are seen by Eucon fine and the connection seems to be very stable. However I have a few problems I'm trying to smooth out.
1) Meters on the iPad app freezing for a moment then returning to regular activity. This happens often, constantly though out the day.
2) Unpredictable results using the 8 encoders on the Dock while the corresponding controls on the iPad work fine.
3) Making my own command shortcuts in Eucon for the iPad user pages and the Dock vertical and horizontal strips. A single simple action like 'command+T' works but a longer string of actions very often fails part way through.
I feel like it's my network but to test that I need to know the network requirements. So here's the questions I'm trying to answer ...
1) What are the networking requirements for Eucon + Dock + iPad ?
2) Is it recommended best practice for Eucon devices to be on their own separate network segment.
3) Can I run a straight wire from my computers second NIC directly to the Dock or does it need to be a cross over cable ?
4) Does the Dock need DHCP ?
5) What about sharing the Wifi on my computer to the iPad ?
Is there a doc somewhere that talks about the network requirements ? If so please point me to it I can't seem to find a clear and detailed explanation of the dependencies.

Thanks
Old 03-15-2020, 08:48 PM

Default Re: What are the network requirements in detail?

To address 1 and 2 from the first paragraph, try running the iPad with a wire, using the Lightning>USB>Ethernet kit. I found the responsiveness and reliability of the iPad improved with Wi-Fi off (this was especially true in urban studios with lots of radio interference).

Try using pauses in a string of custom key commands. I have several custom key commands that are triggered by EuCon, but run by Keyboard Maestro, which is more customizable than EuCon.

And for 3 in the second paragraph, it doesn't need to be a crossover cable.

Good luck!
Old 03-16-2020, 08:38 AM
Avid

Did you see this http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/f...ontrol-Support

Make sure you don't have Wi-Fi and Ethernet connected on the MAC at the same time to your router.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:01 AM

Hi Eddie yes this is once of the resources I've been looking at but it's a general document that talks about Wi-Fi.

Does the Dock (and I guess S1, S3 too) require DHCP ? Would a single wire from the dock to the second Ethernet port on my mac be the 'baseline best case scenario' to test dock performance ?

Thanks
Old 03-16-2020, 10:43 AM
Avid

Either way it should not matter