Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-10-2019, 08:37 PM

Default Pro Tools in virtual machine

Has anyone attempted or succeeded in run Pro Tools in a virtual machine?

I upgraded my iMac to Catalina (oops). Downgrading to High Sierra or Mojave sounds like an exercise in frustration due to other apps that were updated as well.

I have used VMware Fusion for a lot things but not a DAW. So I wonder: can I get decent performance running Pro Tools in a vm?
Old 12-10-2019, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools in virtual machine

Yeah I wouldn’t do that. Pro Tools is a PITA on a well configured system. I can only imagine it being a bag of hurt in a VM.

I take it you don’t have a backup/clone of your system?

If not, I’d start again and build a new boot drive and chalk it up to lesson learnt. Backups are handy and get you out of jams like this.

Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2019, 07:39 AM

Thank you for comments.

In this case, I discovered that the backup process had been disabled nearly a year ago, when the hard drive was replaced with an SSD. I am generally more on top of this sort of thing but failed for this system.

Another suggestion offered is to create a new boot partition, and install High Sierra in that. I am looking into that. A VM would be far easier in some ways but I take your advice.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:19 AM

Alt boot build and back to it.
My2cents
Old 12-11-2019, 08:37 AM

Format external drive as Mojave and run Pro tools off that as your startup drive.
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones
Old 12-11-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mophilly View Post
Thank you for comments.

In this case, I discovered that the backup process had been disabled nearly a year ago, when the hard drive was replaced with an SSD. I am generally more on top of this sort of thing but failed for this system.

Another suggestion offered is to create a new boot partition, and install High Sierra in that. I am looking into that. A VM would be far easier in some ways but I take your advice.
Suggestion:
When you get things back up and running buy Carbon Copy Cloner, an external hard drive, and make regular backups of your system. It'll save your butt in cases like this. Don't use Time Machine for backups. And power down that external drive when you're done making your backup.

For reasons that Sardi mentioned a VM is a nightmare. Don't do it. Or you could use Bootcamp and run PT in Windows.

QAPLA!
Old 12-11-2019, 12:18 PM

I have a 2 TB G-Drive on the way. I have not used Carbon Copy Cloner for years but it does have a good reputation. I was using time machine for the easy stuff and a NAS for project archives.

This morning a colleague suggested I use the g-drive to create a bootable disk image of the complete current system on the g-drive. Once verified that the disk image is bootable and correct, reconfigure the iMac primary drive with some malice.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
Format external drive as Mojave and run Pro tools off that as your startup drive.
That is a very compelling suggestion. Thanks!