Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 11-30-2020, 02:16 AM

Default MIDI/Tick Mode: Note alignment issue when copying & pasting clips

Here's an example of the most common issue I'm having in 2020.11 on Windows 10:

I have a MIDI clip of a bass line or drum part that I simply want to copy and paste to another section of the song.

Not every time but quite often, the notes within the copied clip are shifted out of line with the grid.
Sometimes just half of the notes are shifted with the rest left intact.
I then have to manually readjust the notes to re-align to the grid or quantize the clip.
This problem does seem to occur more if there is a variance of tempo between two sections.

It seems to happen more with self-made MIDI patterns than with clips from my drum libraries.
Most of my drum library clips aren't quantized for a human feel and I don't want those to get altered when duplicating to a different point in the timeline.
If the non-quantized clips were to get altered, I wouldn't have a clue how to readjust the clips back to the original human feel since a human feel is a bit off with the grid in the first place.
So it would probably be best to arrange those clips in an alternate DAW.

If anyone can't recreate this in Windows, try inserting different tempos in between the part being copied and the section being pasted to.
My current project alternates between 120 & 119BPM.

Copy & paste a quantized clip or CTRL + Alt drag the clip across to a different point in the timeline.
Then zoom in on the note pattern to see if any notes shift half of a 64th note.
May not seem like a lot but it's audible during transitions.

Lastly, notes are also being altered when using the cut/insert time function.

I've submitted a ticket and ask that others do the same if having the same issues.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by take77; 11-30-2020 at 11:15 PM.