Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-12-2004, 12:45 PM

Default OT: anyone have a \".mac\" account?

I initially thought the whole thing was a rip-off, until I broke it down by numbers the other day. Most web hosts will charge at least $10 a month for a decent service. This is $70/year, with the iDisk (FTP-like storage), email, webpage design & hosting, all integrated together. Doesn't seem to bad after all, just wondering if anyone's using it?

I'm mostly interesting in creating a very basic website for my music and reel, with the ability to import my own designs (from Flash, Photoshop, etc.) and not just rely on the templates they provide...
Old 11-12-2004, 01:55 PM

Default Re: OT: anyone have a \".mac\" account?

I have it. For me, it's not such a good deal, I only use the email. I have much better storage and hosting available to me (I work at an ISP/hosting company).

Old 11-12-2004, 02:05 PM

Hmm....interesting. What's funny is that the email was the least of my worries, as I have two accounts already, didn't see the need for a third one. I like the webhost/design aspect. Maybe I'll contact you when I'm ready for it!

Tele, were you the one who would sell the TLM-103 from AMS? (someone had bought 3 and was willing to sell a few, not sure if it was you)...
Old 11-12-2004, 03:00 PM

What I like about the .Mac email is that I can use it to send mail, no matter how I'm connected to the Internet. Most ISP's block your outgoing mail if, for instance, you're connected via T-Mobile or some free hotspot.

TLM103: I sold both of mine the day they arrived - I should have bought a truck load, or at least maxed out a credit card on a couple dozen. Oh, well.

Old 11-12-2004, 05:17 PM

I have an account because of the syncing capabilities. I can keep all the files that are important to me up to date and synced using the .mac features on all my computers. Calendars, addresses, bookmarks are all the same on whatever computer I happen to be working on. It is also so easy to upload songs, pictures, movies, etc. because you have a disk image right on your desktop. It acts just like another hard drive. The e-mail can be forwarded to another account so you don't even have to set it up in your mail program and the web sites can be custom made or use their templates.

But, like I said I have it for the sync capabilities.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:57 PM

Hey - It's like most things Apple, a little overpriced but a better product. I use the sync all the time. I work between two studios and then I have 2 macs at home. and I keep all my calendar stuff together - So no matter where I am if the phone rings I can see at a glace if I am available on my iCal..... And then my wife always knows where I am too,(good thing?) all she has to is look at her ical that I've sync'd to... That is worth the $99.00 alone. Not to mention the address book being on all my machines, and the idisc comes in handy for sharing a mix with those that may be afraid of FTP sites.... Yes it is worth it for me! Go ahead and try the demo if you dig it your demo moves over to your paid account.
Hope this is helpful.
Control 24 - (2)192's
Old 11-12-2004, 07:35 PM

I have it and use it all the time check out a few sites on .mac

Musicdude

builderdude

desertdude

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 11-12-2004, 08:24 PM

I have it and it's INVALUABLE to me. I share it w/ my "mobile buddy". We split the cost of it. He uses the sync feature for his bookmarks, addresses, etc (which I don't use ever), and I use it for the webpage stuff. I have a young family, and with iPhoto... creating websites is very easy and quick. Plus they are really functional. The iMovie thing is great too, but I haven't done one yet. Oh, and I use the email. My buddy is only interested in the back up stuff. Pretty fair to me! I love it. Plus now, you get even more storage.

http://homepage.mac.com/sheroan

Got mostly family stuff, but some really good pix from Ed Roman's guitar shop this past week, and the Atomic Punks show in Vegas.

J
OWC External FW HDD
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonsheroan
Old 11-12-2004, 08:52 PM

Nice guitars this one is cool

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 11-12-2004, 10:30 PM

Is it real, or is it PhotoShop?