Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 04-04-2020, 08:22 AM

Default Guitar Amps/Cabs

I have an issue while trying to record guitar while in Pro Tools First. Clean guitar is not a problem.

However, I cannot for the life of me get a rock or metal tone. Using the pedals and effects is horrible. Tinny, weak and no balls whatsoever.

I know you can do it. What am I missing? There are supposed to be amps and cabs that you can use, however I for the life of me cannot find them or find an add on that will do it. Do I need to buy a plug in?

Also I got the Focusrite drum pack download but all that are in it are a bunch of folders. I am assuming that I need to copy them but have no idea where.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by rmanno; 04-04-2020 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Guitar Amps/Cabs

Is "Eleven" part of PT First? The biggest issue with PT First is that it does not allow for 3rd party plugins unless you buy thru the Avid store(I think). Direct recording of guitar is not going to be good without a decent amp sim plugin. There are many that will do a nice job(Guitar Rig, Amplitube?), but they require the regular version of Pro Tools. If you're on a tight budget, there are some other DAW programs that are very capable and less expensive(Reaper and Studio One come to mind). The other option is to get a decent sound before recording. A small tube amp in a closet? A used Digidesign Eleven Rack?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-04-2020, 09:13 AM

Thanks Dave. That is what I figured. For $30 a year I don't think its that bad.

It comes with Eleven "Lite" which I guess does not include the AMPS/CAB modeling. I hear you about small tube amp but I want to avoid that at this time.

Are you able to upgrade First into regular? Or will I need to uninstall all the crap I've installed over the past 2 days?

Thanks again!
Old 04-04-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmanno View Post
Thanks Dave. That is what I figured. For $30 a year I don't think its that bad.

It comes with Eleven "Lite" which I guess does not include the AMPS/CAB modeling. I hear you about small tube amp but I want to avoid that at this time.

Are you able to upgrade First into regular? Or will I need to uninstall all the crap I've installed over the past 2 days?

Thanks again!
AFAIK, you can simply uninstall PTF and install the full version. Just make sure you have your iLok loaded with the full license before pulling the trigger

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave