Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2003, 03:41 AM

Default VST to RTAS wrapper

Anybody out there know of any news on a VST to RTAS wrapper for windows so I can use all my VST instruments.......
Or any where I can download or buy some RTAS soft syths other than the IK Sampletank????
Old 03-03-2003, 04:14 AM

Default Re: VST to RTAS wrapper

there is one for the mac made using max/msp from cycling74 . According to there site there is going to be a windows version pretty soon. Once this is out we should see lots of free plugins in RTAS.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:04 PM

The only drawback is that they have been saying for a while that they were going to make a windows version. Guess they dont know how many sales are waiting for them.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:35 PM

Wow, this makes me drooling. Think about beeing able to use the UAD-1 card in PT.....

Pelle
Old 03-09-2003, 09:53 AM

This is crazy stuff aint it? I mean having to use a wrapper. I understand it...one company doesn't want to help another company but... I don't think that digi or cakewalk have anything to fear if they would include VST support. I am amazed that a wrapper has not already been made for PT le on windows yet. Money is ready to go in the bank for the person that makes it so.
Old 03-09-2003, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wooofff:
there is one for the mac made using max/msp from cycling74 . According to there site there is going to be a windows version pretty soon. Once this is out we should see lots of free plugins in RTAS.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I hate to rain on your parade here guys, but there is no VSTi to RTAS wrapper on Mac that I'm aware of. If you go the the Cycling '74 web site, you'll find the following under their Pluggo product page:
Quote:
"Note: The ability to host VST plug-ins is not available for the RTAS version of pluggo."
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Digi apparently doesn't want people making VSTi to RTAS wrappers at this time. Maybe that'll change in the future...who knows? I'm continually amazed at Marketing "Suits" who go against the wishes of consumers.

What does exist righ now, is a VSTi host that electronically interfaces with PTLE via Directconnect on Mac. There is also has a Rewire to DC API. Read about them here at Leigh Marble's web page.

As far as using a UAD-1 with PTLE is concerned, I don't think that's likely to happen. What is likely to happen, is using the UAD-8 with PTLE when its finally released. This version of the UAD card will have an ADAT I/O built in. That will allow you to integrate those great UAD dynamics & EFX into PTLE via lightpipe like you would do any other external hardware device.
Old 03-09-2003, 06:46 PM

Hi,
planning to try using my UAD in another machine with a Hammerfall. But it will give some problems with latency, guess the same applies for the UAD-8.
Ofcourse there are some workarounds, but one could imagine how it gets complicated with different ofsets of audiofiles..

Must admit that Logic 6 with grouping looks very intresting... well, but that's another platform..
Using Lawp/PTLE on PC-p4 2.4GHz now, but believe the next machine will be mac, only for the reason of Logic...

Pelle
Old 03-10-2003, 12:27 AM

there is no vst host as standard in pluggo (this was at digi's request ) but it would be easy to produce one using max/msps "simple VST host" example in the help files. This could easly be exported to RTAS through the pluggo object.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:44 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I thought that the definition of great customer service was finding out what your customers want and delivering it.
All this fear based behavior reminds me of when VHS became available. The movie theatres thought it would put them out of business. Movie theatre attendence is up almost 10 fold since then and Edwards Cinemas are building mega theatres everywhere.
I know that what holds alot of people back from buying PTLE is lack of VST or DirectX support.
Allen [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2003, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pellefri:
Hi,
planning to try using my UAD in another machine with a Hammerfall. But it will give some problems with latency, guess the same applies for the UAD-8.
Ofcourse there are some workarounds, but one could imagine how it gets complicated with different ofsets of audiofiles..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Pelle,

One approach would be to send your entire mix to the UAD (via Hammerfall) grouped across 8 channels. Then, you could get your UAD settings and print certain channels/groups back to PTLE if you have enough open tracks or you can just bounce.

That's what I did back when I first got my Korg OASYS PCI (great verbs & vocoders). That's what you'd do if you had a real 1176 or LA-2A.

The I/O limitations on the 001 forces you to be creative. But, then again, that's the true nature of Audio Engineering...using your creativity and ingenuity to solve problems to get the desired results.