Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2011, 07:50 AM

Smile Yes Mahsta !......

Hi. I have learned from viewing various posts that, for us amatuer recordists. attempting to master our own recordings at home is an exercise in futility. That said, are there any mastering facilities that will work their magic on say, just one or two songs? If so, what would be a ball park cost, realizing that it probably depends on which mastering lab one chooses. Your recomendations are in order here unless you would be in danger of a conflict of interest. Also, I do not compose but I record only my own versions of other artists songs, (with my own arrangements). Would this place either the mastering engineer or I in jeapordy of legal problems? The mastered songs would not be for profit but, I can't help but wonder what a pro facility could do with my recordings. I know that just because someone has a website saying they are mastering engineers doesn't mean that they are competent! Any suggestions?
Old 10-09-2011, 08:11 AM

Default Re: Yes Mahsta !......

Well it's not futile, but it depends on the result you want. If it's just for your own piece of work that wont be publish, i'd say try to get the sound you like. If it's for publishing work then you should go with them, as they have specialized gear just for that. As for places that do just a song or two, I wouldn't be able to say, since I'm not in your area.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-09-2011, 09:51 AM

THere are alot of good mastering engineers that will charge a per song rate are are happy to do one or two for you.

I have found that its always better to send them off to an expert. If you build a relationship with a few different mastering studios then you always have options for the right sound you want for you or your client.

Email me off the list, [email protected], Id be happy to recommend a few people that I use and you can contact them.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:56 AM

check out www.accentaudio.net
Old 10-09-2011, 11:07 AM

The biggest issue here is money. If you're doing your own songs and planned to sell them on CD's or Itunes, it might make sense to spend money for that extra polish.

But if you're doing covers, you'll need to be prepared to pay mechanical royalties to the publishers of those songs if you sell them. Not that big a deal, but legally required. If that sounds like more trouble than it's worth, then you won't be selling them for money, so I'm not sure who you're going to play them for, and who will hear them. Thus, it may not make sense to spend the money if you're not going to make money.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:46 AM

Thanks guys but, how does one go about finding out who owns the current publishing rights to songs previously recorded and released for sale ? Is there some sort of master directory? thanks
Old 10-10-2011, 06:53 AM

Look here: http://www.harryfox.com/index.jsp

In 1927, the National Music Publisher's Association established HFA to act as an information source, clearinghouse and monitoring service for licensing musical copyrights. Since its founding, HFA has provided efficient and convenient services for publishers, licensees, and a broad spectrum of music users.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 10-10-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
Hi. I have learned from viewing various posts that, for us amatuer recordists. attempting to master our own recordings at home is an exercise in futility. That said, are there any mastering facilities that will work their magic on say, just one or two songs? If so, what would be a ball park cost, realizing that it probably depends on which mastering lab one chooses. Your recomendations are in order here unless you would be in danger of a conflict of interest. Also, I do not compose but I record only my own versions of other artists songs, (with my own arrangements). Would this place either the mastering engineer or I in jeapordy of legal problems? The mastered songs would not be for profit but, I can't help but wonder what a pro facility could do with my recordings. I know that just because someone has a website saying they are mastering engineers doesn't mean that they are competent! Any suggestions?
All you can do is give someone a try - some (of us) will do the mastering job (audio), hand back the finished product and leave the registration etc as the responsibility of the client.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:53 PM

There are a lot of learning resources for learning mixing and mastering avalable these days including learning from some of the best most successful mastering engineers in the industry.

Computers and software are very capable of producing high quality mastered music.

If you are affraid to start learning and doing your own mixes and mastering then for sure you will never be good at it.

I for one am looking forward to learning and doing my own mastering, I will have at least 2 or three songs mastered at a profesional facility to compare to my own mastering and to use as a reference learning tool.

To think that only the "Profesional Studios" can produce a profesional master is a mistake! Empower yourself and learn to master music.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
As for places that do just a song or two, I wouldn't be able to say, since I'm not in your area.
I suspect you could send files either by dvd, internet so I doubt where one lives is a barrier to using anyone these days unless of course you wanted to be there for the session.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O