Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2007, 09:20 AM

Default Blackmagic intensity or Decklink ???

Hi,
i'm looking into upgrading to a PCIe HD PT and want to replace a DC30+.
I don't get it why these card are not supported ? Is it just a comercial reason ?
There is plenty of PCI bandwith wth PCIe. Where is the catch ?

I've seen that some of you use the Decklink as a third monitor but not recognized as a real video card like the DC30 or Fuse-X.
Blackmagic card work with Nuendo...why not Protools ? Is it another Avid thing ????
Weird weird weird ?

Any clues ???

Chris
Old 12-18-2007, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Blackmagic intensity or Decklink ???

Quote:
Hi,
i'm looking into upgrading to a PCIe HD PT and want to replace a DC30+.
I don't get it why these card are not supported ? Is it just a comercial reason ?
There is plenty of PCI bandwith wth PCIe. Where is the catch ?

Because the DC30+ is a PCI-card and will not work in either the PCI-X or the PCIe slots. Completely different hardware. It´s as if you wanted to connect a SCSI-drive to a firewire port.

Quote:

I've seen that some of you use the Decklink as a third monitor but not recognized as a real video card like the DC30 or Fuse-X.
Blackmagic card work with Nuendo...why not Protools ? Is it another Avid thing ????
Weird weird weird ?

The decklink is used by quite a few users. Search the DUC. There have been plenty of threads on this topic. And yes unfortunately none of these cards integrate like the DC30 did. There is no PCIe card that does it the way the miro did. There used to be the Fuse-X wich did the same unter PCI-X but it is out of production and will also not work with PCIe. The decklink cards simply output a third desktop screen to a video-out. Very similar to the 19euro DVI-to-FBAS adapter from apple.

frank.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:48 PM

Sometimes I feel so stupid...
I know what you mean but what does FBAS mean?
Old 12-18-2007, 10:50 PM

Sorry Richard,

I used the German abbriviation for the english CVBS aka composit signal.

Frank.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:38 AM

Thanks frank for your reply and a good summary of where we are at.
But my question is why can't the Blackmagic card be recognised as a Quicktime streaming card (aka DC30 or Fuse)
I don't believe it's a bandwith problem in the PCI bus. It's a driver thing I suppose and I don't understand why they don't fix this for us ??? There is a market in audio post for a cheap card that digitize and plays back in PT at a silly 350 $.

We have 2 studio with dc30 in osx and one with a similar setup as VVTR. It is so much quicker and easier to work with the DC30, having the video on your mac screen and s-vhs send to different client and booth.

voilà...any ideas ???

Chris
Old 12-20-2007, 02:30 AM

For an update on this matter :

I heard they are working on it !

Good news then ...

Chris
Old 12-20-2007, 03:31 AM

Quote:
For an update on this matter :

I heard they are working on it !

Good news then ...

Chris
Who is working on what?

frank.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:03 PM

I called Black Magic Design in Nevada a couple of months ago, We are running FCP2 on 3.0 intel with Multibridge, and the "Boss" wants to put Avid Media Composer on the same setup. I tell him not to do that. I go on vacation and the "boss" installs Media composer, and the "Boss" is complaining that it's not working right. I tell him it's the Black Magic Card. The "Boss" says get on the phone to Avid and find out WTF. Spend a couple of hours getting someone on the phone. Avid says no-go not approved. Then get on the phone to tech support at (instantly BTW) Black Magic, and I can't remember the words, but something along the lines that Avid won't give them the pathway. I'm assuming it's for PT too.
Also have the AJA IOHD and have compared the 2. Black Magic same quality as the $3500 AJA and BM interfaces much easier.
No support for Intensity on G5.