Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 01:56 PM

Default Hearing Reverb AUX Track

Hello All.

I'm kind of new to Pro Tools and need some help. I'm in the process of doing a mix. I created an Stereo Aux Track where I have inserted a Reverb plug-in.
I have all my audio tracks bussed out to the Stereo Aux Track. I would like to be able to just hear the Stereo Aux Track (to hear just the "Wet" signal) but when I "solo" the Aux track I don't hear anything. I know I'm missing something, so if someone could shed some light on the situation I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-27-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Hearing Reverb AUX Track

Solo the aux track and one or more of the audio tracks. You of course have to have something going to the reverb to hear the effect.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:22 PM

Thanks Park,

I tried that but I am hearing the Audio Track ("dry") combined with the Aux track. I just want to be able to listen to (audition) the "wet" signal from the Aux track. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks!

Old 03-27-2007, 04:12 PM

Apologies if i have misunderstood your problem but you should be using the sends on your audio tracks to feed signal to the stereo Reverb Aux.... that way if you click the 'pre' button on each of the audio sends going to the reverb Aux you will be able to then mute these audio tracks (thereby killing the dry main output signal) but still hear the "wet" signal that is going from their sends to the stereo Reverb Aux. Hope that makes sense. Have the reverb set to 100% and then use the reverb aux fader to choose how much reverb you want.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Apologies if i have misunderstood your problem but you should be using the sends on your audio tracks to feed signal to the stereo Reverb Aux.... that way if you click the 'pre' button on each of the audio sends going to the reverb Aux you will be able to then mute these audio tracks (thereby killing the dry main output signal) but still hear the "wet" signal that is going from their sends to the stereo Reverb Aux. Hope that makes sense. Have the reverb set to 100% and then use the reverb aux fader to choose how much reverb you want.
Cool. You learn something new everyday.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:34 PM

Thanks Leadfinger,

You understood me perfectly.

I do have it set up as you suggested. I can hear the reverb perfectly if I do as you suggest. The problem is that I have my audio sends set up as "post fader" which will give me a different level. Again, I don't know if I'm missing the obvious here.

Many Thanks!

Old 03-27-2007, 08:13 PM

it is not standard practice to listen to verb only
it is standard practice to listen to verb blended with source (so SOLO SAFE the aux track)

the only way to do what you want is to make all of you sends pre fader instead of post

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-27-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks Leadfinger,

I do have it set up as you suggested. I can hear the reverb perfectly if I do as you suggest. The problem is that I have my audio sends set up as "post fader" which will give me a different level. Again, I don't know if I'm missing the obvious here.

Many Thanks!

I've never wanted to hear reverb alone, but I think you could do it this way using post sends from the tracks.

Add one more stereo aux channel to your existing session. Set the input to an unused stereo bus and set the output to the main stereo out (1 & 2).

Set the output of all tracks to the stereo bus that feeds your new aux instead of the main out.

Whenever you want to hear only reverb, mute the new aux.

Will this do what you want?

Jeff_C
Old 03-27-2007, 09:03 PM

Check out this thread just copy and paste it into your browser should help i was having similar probs
http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...part=1#1134900
Old 03-27-2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks Leadfinger,

Many Thanks!

I don't think setting up your sends as "post fader" will give you a different send level - in general you should have the sends set to post fader and mix from this listening point (ie: make sure the "pre" button is not white) - the only case I think for having Reverb sends set up "pre fader" is if you are after some sort of effect where the reverb lingers after the final audio etc....if you want to check the reverb then set em up as pre and check it but do so by toggling the dry signal in and out. I wholeheartedly agree with previous sentiments expressed here about checking reverb "in the mix" and with the dry signal but I also find it interesting to hear the reverb solo'ed....something about hearing the rhythm of the reverb and for the hell of it, it sounds cool.