Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2008, 02:32 PM

Still wondering what all think about Kontakt. Is it worth the money? Great soundset? Any compatibility issues with PT? ...............Anyone?!
Old 07-23-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
Genius idea! I did this without any other interface, just my MBox2 Pro. In Mainstage (or whatever other stand-alone VI) just assign the audio output to 3-4. Create an aux in PT with input 3-4 and voila, done. IAC bus assigned as mentioned above.

I did this with other synths, don't know why I didn't think of Mainstage.. duh!

I have to say the new PT 7 audio driver is great, allowing other apps to play at the same time as PT. iTunes, whatever, even when PT is open. Been waiting many years for that!

JO
wow this is interesting! I didn't know the Digi core audio driver allowed
this now. I should try it with my Project Mix......The only other problem
I am having is getting any kind of multitimbral operation between the
two. I recorded an EVP88 track and an Ultrabeat track and found both
of the PT midi tracks were triggering both instruments in Mainstage.
I admit after having Mainstage since last September I've never really
dug deep into how it works. I'm gonna run off now and do try some
more tests......
Old 07-24-2008, 03:23 PM

OK now I've figured out how to set all of this up and it works like a CHAMP! It took me about an hour of going through the Mainstage manual but I managed to configure it properly so multiple instruments can be routed separately and triggered independently.

First you have to setup a "controller" device for each PT midi track you plan on using in the layout screen. It is in here where you can select which midi interface and channel each controller can receive on. You simply set it for IAC Buss and channel 1,2 etc.

Then you go into the Edit screen and select which instruments you want use and insert them into the channel strips. Each channel strip can be set to receive in the channels inspector on the lower left hand side.

If you are running everything on the same interface,simply select your Digi driver as the audio driver, assign alternate outputs(3-4,5-6 whichever) and physically connect them from the alternate outputs to inputs 1-2 on your Digi interface with a pair of cables. Now you are all set. As JohnO stated, it's great that Digi allows multi-client functionality of their drivers now.

You should now have an an audio VI rack to use with Pro Tools. If you want to print the tracks as audio, simply solo the instrument channel in Mainstage and record away. If you have multiple I/O patched,all the better you can print your Logic VI's to audio in PT.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:37 AM

Really cool! So nice to have Logic's bazillion cool sounds with Pro Tools.

Can't make it multitimbral, right? Seems like only one can be played at a time. Just open another 'Concert' I suppose.

Did you find a way to disable Mainstage from playing the direct MIDI keyboard input? I can't, but it doesn't affect the sound at all (no phasing), so who cares. Mainstage seems to 'see' the incoming MIDI from the IAC bus before it goes thru PT. Maybe I'm just too tired to figure it out.

Really great to have this tho, thanks to all for figuring this out. The sounds in Logic and the way they are organized is great. They should sell Mainstage as an RTAS plugin.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I have to say the new PT 7 audio driver is great, allowing other apps to play at the same time as PT. iTunes, whatever, even when PT is open. Been waiting many years for that!

JO
Actually, that's not the case. Since you have an Mbox 2, which is a CoreAudio-compliant device, it can allow CoreAudio to use the hardware even with Pro Tools open. If you do this with another Digi interface (like a 002 or 003), you can only have Pro Tools or the CAD running, not both.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Really cool! So nice to have Logic's bazillion cool sounds with Pro Tools.

Can't make it multitimbral, right? Seems like only one can be played at a time. Just open another 'Concert' I suppose.

Did you find a way to disable Mainstage from playing the direct MIDI keyboard input? I can't, but it doesn't affect the sound at all (no phasing), so who cares. Mainstage seems to 'see' the incoming MIDI from the IAC bus before it goes thru PT. Maybe I'm just too tired to figure it out.

Really great to have this tho, thanks to all for figuring this out. The sounds in Logic and the way they are organized is great. They should sell Mainstage as an RTAS plugin.
Or Apple should make Mainstage a Rewire slave. Hell they could take a
bite out of the Reason market if they did this...or not!!

I have figured out the multitimbral thing. You have to create multiple controllers in the Layout page(drag two or more of the keyboard icons above)Mainstage will support the use of multiple midi controllers.

All you have to do is click on each one in the Layout page and assign
the midi device/interface on the left hand side. Then open the Edit page
and click on each instrument channel strip and assign the midi channel
for each in the inspector on the left hand side.

So if you have say, 4 midi tracks in PT, you would have to drag 4 separate
keyboard icons into the black field above. Click on each one to assign
each it's own midi port/channel. Then do the same in the Edit page for
each of your 4 channel strips.

My direct midi input goes: K2000 midi out>Project Mix midi in
then I assign each midi track's input to the Project Mix>output to
IAC buss>Mainstage. So really I'm playing into PT and then it's
sending midi out the IAC buss into Mainstage. I found out you have
to have "Midi thru" enabled in PT under "options" to pass signal
through and you still have to Rec. enable the PT midi track.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnO

JO

Actually, that's not the case. Since you have an Mbox 2, which is a CoreAudio-compliant device, it can allow CoreAudio to use the hardware even with Pro Tools open. If you do this with another Digi interface (like a 002 or 003), you can only have Pro Tools or the CAD running, not both.
That explains a few things... my studio partner has an 003 and I couldn't get it to run both PT and a Core Audio app both thru the 003. I must say I like the MBox2 Pro better than the 003, now even more so!
Old 07-26-2008, 01:42 AM

Actually, my HD rig couldn't do this either as I recall. I have to say, MBox2 Pro + MacPro 2 x 2.66 kills HD2 + G5 dual 2.7 for composing and scoring.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:48 AM

Default Re: Logic Rewired through PT?!

"I have to say the new PT 7 audio driver is great, allowing other apps to play at the same time as PT. iTunes, whatever, even when PT is open. Been waiting many years for that!"

How is that possible??? Pro tools uses a different audio driver than core audio when running pro tools
Old 08-29-2012, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Logic Rewired through PT?!

Just figured out , how to stop "midi looping" in mainstage.

Go to the Environment page in Logic (command 8)

Go to "Clicks and ports"

Disconnect the iac bus "cable"

Hey presto, no more looping in mainstage.

Enjoy,

Leggy :)