Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2001, 10:45 PM

Default Abandon the 001? Heresy!

Heretical as it might be to announce on this forum, I'm entertaining the idea of abandoning the 001. I'm just too sick of the -6031 errors and lack of a solution for them.

I really am considering a Rosetta for the sweet-as-silk converters, but rather than lightpiping its output through the 001 I'm wondering if there is a (more trouble-free) product out there that is strictly an interface (no converters), either PCI, USB, or FireWire. It would need to accept 2 24 bit channels of adat or spdif at a minimum.

Since the Rosetta has no D/A, possibly a better solution would be to get an inexpensive interface that has A/D and D/A but also accepts digital inputs, and then just ignore the A/D section in favor of the Rosetta. The D/A section doesn't really have to have great quality, as it would only be used for monitoring...as long as it's accurate I could take a little dirt that wouldn't actually make it into the mix if I had to. The primary concerns are reliability and input ports (and of course, Mac compatibility).

Does anyone have a suggestion?
Old 08-31-2001, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Abandon the 001? Heresy!

That sounds like an offer I can't refuse. Email on its way. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2001, 12:02 AM

Default Re: Abandon the 001? Heresy!

ThomCat,

FWIW, If you're happy with PTLE, then I'd put your money into good hardware and enter Pro Tools strictly via s/pdif or optical. That is what many TDM users do as well.

I recently changed from my Rosetta to the RME ADI-8 Pro because I needed D/A as well as more inputs. The A/D sounds good to me, but knowing how detailed you are, you'll probably here things I don't. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

If you want Rosetta A/D, but need D/A too, I think you could probably use a Rosetta with say a Lucid D/A box - not sure of the hook-up though.

If you're interested - my Rosetta is only four months old and you can have it for $750.