Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 03-29-2017, 03:57 AM

Default Can I get more inputs into my Mbox Pro?

Hi,

I need to record a drum track (7 mics - kick, 3 x toms, snare and 2 x overheads) yet i only have an Mbox with 4 mics ins. I know I can sub-mix the lot and record a stereo pair, however I would love the flexibility of separate drum tracks in pro tools.

What are my options...if any?

Thank you experts, your advice is very much appreciated!

J
Old 03-29-2017, 06:14 AM

Default Re: Can I get more inputs into my Mbox Pro?

You should be able to get 8 in's:

4 built in Mic pre's
2 AUX line level RCA
2 SPDIF

So, you'd need a mic preamp with both SPDIF and line level out, or separate pre's that have those outputs.

To be honest, at that point you'd be better off getting an interface with 8 mic pre's (and probably ADAT in too).

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 03-29-2017, 12:13 PM

Indeed^^^ A used 003rack($200-300) and a Behringer ADA8200($150-200) would give you 12 mic preamps, plus 4 line inputs and plenty of outputs for headphone mixes If you could get by with 6 inputs, the SPDIF pair could be used with a DBX 386 or ART Digital MPA 2 channel preamp, but finding external preamps that will work well on the RCA inputs might be tricky(most external preamp analog outputs are +4 and would overdrive the RCA -10 inputs)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-29-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiet View Post
Hi,

I need to record a drum track (7 mics - kick, 3 x toms, snare and 2 x overheads) yet i only have an Mbox with 4 mics ins. I know I can sub-mix the lot and record a stereo pair, however I would love the flexibility of separate drum tracks in pro tools.

What are my options...if any?

Thank you experts, your advice is very much appreciated!

J
Most affordable solution might be
1 kick
2 snare
3 overhead L
4 overhead R
5+6 (Aux RCA or Minijack)...borrow a small analog mixer (like used to manage monitoring in home studios,
as a keyboard mixer or in small rehearsal rooms) with 4 mic pres at least, use 3 separate mics to capture toms
1-3, make sure the summed sound of the toms is balanced and set in the pan and go out from the stereo master
of this analog mixer straight into Aux In 5+6 of your Mbox (maybe Jack to RCA adapter needed).

If this particular mixing desk should produce a little noise (like such a ones often do) you can use Strip Silence to
not have them play all the time but only when the toms got hit. So even a little noise on the 1-3 toms stereo track
should be no big problem finally.

The toms will be submixed but this finally should work out in the mix as you still can treat the overheads/cymbals
separately (maybe cut the bottom to reduce the toms spill and focus on the cymbals etc.).

Another possible solution might be to borrow a second audio interface with 4 mic pres at least and build a Pro Tools
Aggregate with this second interface and your Mbox. That doesn´t work with every audio interface but it should be
possible with many so you simply will have to try it out.

This one will be super affordable and it´s got decent reviews for the low price so it even might be an option to buy.
No idea and no guarantee it will work though.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC404HD
http://www.music-group.com/Categorie...C404HD/p/P0BK1

or

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelG View Post
You should be able to get 8 in's:

4 built in Mic pre's
2 AUX line level RCA
2 SPDIF

So, you'd need a mic preamp with both SPDIF and line level out, or separate pre's that have those outputs.

To be honest, at that point you'd be better off getting an interface with 8 mic pre's (and probably ADAT in too).

Joel

If you are on a very tight budget this one might be interesting for you.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC1820
http://www.music-group.com/Categorie...MC1820/p/P0B2J

However I personally would rather go with that one for example.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlet18i20G2
https://global.focusrite.com/usb-aud...scarlett-18i20

You can of course look around if any friends or colleagues have such a small analog mixer and a stereo preamp with
SPDIF out to borrow it from them. Then you will get your separate drum tracks as well by combining the Mbox, the
2 channels from the stereo out of the analog mixer and the 2 channels from the stereo preamps SPDIF out.
In this particular case you would use the analog mixer for 2 separate channels only, not to sum it to a stereo track.

Or like suggested by Joel already you sell your Mbox and get the Focusrite Scarlett 18i2i which is a really affordable
yet good quality interface with 8 good quality mic pres which even got 8 more inputs via ADAT and offers the same
or even better audio quality than your MBox. And it´s compatible with all the latest versions of OS (Win and Mac).

It´s all up to you finally of course.

Anyway. The best of success to you.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:22 PM

Wow...great advice. I will have a dig around in my studio to see what I can come up with. I really appreciate the support from this community.

Top stuff!

Thank you
Old 03-29-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiet View Post
I really appreciate the support from this community.

Top stuff!

Thank you
+1 !

Thanks to this Thread's contributors!

Best Support available!

Last edited by unkJE; 03-29-2017 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Best Support available!