Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 07-17-2017, 12:51 PM

Default Video with PT 12.8 HD

Ok, video will not work with v 12.6.1 HD windows, but it works with 12.4
IS any body using the latest PT HD 12.8 with video, and using it for post?
I'm so frustrated with AVID...
I need to cut to picture...and no matter what I try, 12.6.1 crashes
12.4 seems to work...
I did not renew my subscription,because AVID just doesn't fix a darn thing...they seem to break it,when it comes to Windows
12.6.1 works on my Mac...but that is my MBP Pro...I need the horse power of my PC workstation
Can anyone confirm video works with Windows 10 pro on PT HD v 12.8.x
Windows 10 Pro
2013 MacBook Pro Retina i7 Quad-core, 16gb ram.
Mac OSX 10.11.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory 128 GB 1866 MHZ DDR3
Graphics AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB

PT Ultimate 2022.4.0 on Mac
PT Ultimate 2020.12 on Windows
Logic Pro X 10.6
Nuendo 12.0
1_Antelope Audio_Orion Synergy Core Studio
Old 07-17-2017, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Video with PT 12.8 HD

Confirmed that video with PTHD12.8 works as expected here ...

Mind you, there are a plethora of other inconsistencies /bugs with PTHD & windows 10 & which do not apply to any of the other software I have installed. PT is a bit like a virus with all of its various special reqs, AAX folders etc. Then there's the ancient UI with non-floating windows & old Win 7 look. Mad, running that on a couple of VDUs with much dicking about ...

I use both mac os and win platforms as well & for similar reasons you mention; in this case, for 4k video production & where any current mac simply doesn't have the level of hardware required. The only reason PT is sitting on this system is that (unlike other applications w/ dodgy AAF import) it so happens it round-trips perfectly with NLE DaVinci Resolve for final soundtrack finessing. Otherwise I stick to Nuendo et al. Zero issues there and all of the other apps actually look and run like a modern application built for Windows 10.

Back to the video question: the Resolve timeline export feature uses mxf to open a perfect session in PT, including all of the audio regions /placements and a rendered video file at user-designated res. This all scrolls, plays and performs well. Ditto w/ fresh importing & opening an external video in the timeline; has not had any problems with the usual container /codecs such as MP4, MOV, DHNxHD, ProRes etc.

Could be that you have a system issue & so perhaps a clean install /roll-back may be helpful? The GPU and/or drivers may also be worth investigating. One of the v. useful things about Win10 IMHO is 'restore points' & saving these deliberately has saved my ass on any number of occasions (including with multiple failed /idiotic error-ridden PT installs). Good luck.
MacPro 7,1 Big Sur 11.2. 16 core, 2TB, 192GB, Vega II 32GB. OWC Thunderbay 6, RME UFX+, UAD-2 quad PCIe, Decklink MiniMon 4k, Sonnet M.2 4x4. Dell U3419W & BenQ SW2700PT. FaderPort 16, Komplete Kontrol S61, Nuendo, Wavelab, Pro Tools Ultimate, Logic, Ableton Live. FinalCutPro, Resolve Studio.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdraper View Post
Confirmed that video with PTHD12.8 works as expected here ...

Mind you, there are a plethora of other inconsistencies /bugs with PTHD & windows 10 & which do not apply to any of the other software I have installed. PT is a bit like a virus with all of its various special reqs, AAX folders etc. Then there's the ancient UI with non-floating windows & old Win 7 look. Mad, running that on a couple of VDUs with much dicking about ...

I use both mac os and win platforms as well & for similar reasons you mention; in this case, for 4k video production & where any current mac simply doesn't have the level of hardware required. The only reason PT is sitting on this system is that (unlike other applications w/ dodgy AAF import) it so happens it round-trips perfectly with NLE DaVinci Resolve for final soundtrack finessing. Otherwise I stick to Nuendo et al. Zero issues there and all of the other apps actually look and run like a modern application built for Windows 10.

Back to the video question: the Resolve timeline export feature uses mxf to open a perfect session in PT, including all of the audio regions /placements and a rendered video file at user-designated res. This all scrolls, plays and performs well. Ditto w/ fresh importing & opening an external video in the timeline; has not had any problems with the usual container /codecs such as MP4, MOV, DHNxHD, ProRes etc.

Could be that you have a system issue & so perhaps a clean install /roll-back may be helpful? The GPU and/or drivers may also be worth investigating. One of the v. useful things about Win10 IMHO is 'restore points' & saving these deliberately has saved my ass on any number of occasions (including with multiple failed /idiotic error-ridden PT installs). Good luck.

Thank you so much for the confirmation, I just rolled PTHD to 12.4 and it works with video again
I can't believe how inept Avid is, they can,t get a video engine to work...with media composer,you'd think they have some solution
I know Neundo is not dependent on QT, Avid still has no solution

Cheers
Windows 10 Pro
Mac OSX 10.11.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013)

Logic Pro X 10.6
Nuendo 12.0
Old 07-17-2017, 03:08 PM

Rather than System Restore, which is limited in what it can do, I rely on Macrium Reflect. There is a free version.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 07-17-2017, 08:24 PM

Default Video with PT 12.8 HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Rather than System Restore, which is limited in what it can do, I rely on Macrium Reflect. There is a free version.

Thanks,I have Macrium Reflect,I always keep my system drive cloned...
So do you have video on PTHD with 12.8 ? On Windows 10 Pro ..
Or as stated your on 12.4 ?
Just trying to figure out what is going on with with the video engine..
It seems since Avid went to the cloud BS, all the problems started on windows past 12.4..this is just speculation on my part,
it seems to be what is causing issues...on my system
I can use 12.6.1, if I where just doing audio,but I need video support...
I also use thunderbolt and it works great, Cubase,and Studio One 3 all work, as expected with video, only Avid is having problems on my system.

Cheers
Windows 10 Pro
Mac OSX 10.11.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013)

Logic Pro X 10.6
Nuendo 12.0
Old 07-18-2017, 07:33 AM

Hardly ever use video. I went back to 12.4 because of the Batch Fade issues that happened after 12.4 and the fact 12.8 was slow for opening sessions and performing some things in PT.

I don't normally clone, I just do images nightly and before any update/upgrade/install/uninstall. I find images quicker and easier to deal with than clones. YMMV.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction