Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2004, 10:03 PM

Default MBox plugged in 24/7?

Hello all! After taking about a multi-year hiatus from audio recording and ProTools (I last used the free 3.4 version... has it really been that long??), I'm now the proud owner of a new MBox and ProTools LE. I've been scouring this forum for weeks doing research, and have to say it looks like a great community to be a part of. I had some trepidation in buying the MBox (USB, several years old, latency, etc.), but I'm happy to find that so far I'm very pleased with the package. I updated to PT 6.2.3 right away, and have had no problems at all yet. I've spent the night so far recording some basic tracks and figuring out how to play with Rewiring Reason into separate aux tracks. Sweet!

In any case, I did have a hardware question I couldn't find here on the forum or in the manual: I usually leave my G4 on 24/7. Will there be any issue with leaving the MBox constantly connected and powered-up in this fashion? Or would it be more stressful on the unit (or my computer) to keep plugging and unplugging the USB connection?

Thanks for any pointers... I look forward to sharing info with everyone on this excellent forum!
Old 03-05-2004, 01:33 AM

Default Re: MBox plugged in 24/7?

Not sure about leaving the MBox plugged in all the time, but I haven't had any problems in two years that I've had mine which I typically connect/disconnect 4+ times a day....

I have left it connected for long periods of time (2+days), and didn't notice anything that would cause alarm either....

YMMV
San Diego, CA
Old 03-06-2004, 06:56 PM

I've had my Mbox plugged in for the last 13 months with no problem. As a matter of fact, in most of the studios I've worked in, much of the equipment (usually the older stuff) is always left on.

An engineer at one studio said that leaving it on creates less stress on the components and the capacitors dont have to discharge and re-charge. He said it's like a light bulb. They usually blow when you turn them on.

Well, that's my 2-cents. I leave my Mbox and Radikal SAC-2.2 on 24/7. No problems ever.

Old 03-06-2004, 10:47 PM

I go to an audio school and we have tons macs left on 24/7 with mboxes plugged in and never even a hint of a problem either.. I wouldn't worry about it