Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 10-27-2020, 07:28 AM

Default HDX delay compensation strategies

Hello,
I'm looking to find, or start, a thread on how to setup the best strategy for using elaborate routing on HDX, and avoid running the delay compensation in the red.

For example: do you gain anything by putting plugins on a master fader for a buss that feeds an aux track as opposed to putting the plugins directly on the aux track itself?

AND, when it is OK to be in the red, can the last aux/master buss in the system be the cause of overshooting the DC without causing any problems up stream?

What I find very concerning is that maybe a future system will allow more delay compensation that what I have today and if I upgrade, mixes I do today won't sound the same on the new system because the new DC allows for more compensation; thus timings could be off somewhere.

I don't know, maybe I'm overreacting, but it is annoying that my home studio, which I use a lot as well, seems to never hit the red DC meter, where as my commercial studio HDX system, is almost always in the red.

Any thoughts or links to other threads is apprecated.
thanks!
Old 10-29-2020, 10:20 AM

Default Re: HDX delay compensation strategies

In the mix window you can view DC to isolate the tracks that need checking.
If native go all native plugs, if DSP go all DSP
Mixed types will be least efficient.

If red only on final output master that should not pose an issue.

There is a preference addressing DSP resources when opening sessions.

Both AAX. DSP and Native sound the same.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:21 AM

You are using plugins with huge lookahead in the same channelstrip, like Softube Weiss Maximizer?
It is very rare people max out ADC these days...
If mixing many native and dsp plugins in the same channelstrip put all the native ones first if possible.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
Both AAX. DSP and Native sound the same.
(all good advice from DetroitT... but to split hairs a bit....) It is worth being aware of the issue with lack of side chain delay compensation on native... which can lead to audible differences. A silly failure on Avid's part to create an ecosystem where statements that things *always* sound the same on native and DSP could be made. Just more weak product strategy/marketing from Avid.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:41 AM

Hi,
Thanks for all the input, very helpful. I mostly get problems with delay compensation from plugins on the master bus. And the fix is usually disabling a plug-in. But sometimes I can get it to go green again by disabling something upriver. There’s a few plug-ins that seem to be extra heavy on the delay compensation side.

I always use native plug-ins on audio tracks and I never mix native plug-ins with DSP plug-ins at all. In fact my sessions are almost always native plug-ins even on my HDX system. I’ll because I don’t want to use these people again but very often there isn’t a DSP version of the plug-in that I’m using. Maybe that’s why my HDX system runs out of delay compensation before my native system does.

Question: can I safely disable delay compensation on the final master buss or aux track that feeds my monitoring? I thought about doing it many times, but I just need to be sure that things always play the same both at my commercial facility and on my native rig at home. Speaking of native versus HDX, I also think that it’s pretty lame that the delay compensation for side chaining isn’t incorporated in the native version. What a hassle and a buzz kill.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:34 AM

Just a simple check.
You know that the orange textcolor just indicates that it is the channel that has the most latency in the session.
Red indicates it is beyond the limit.
I guess you know already, but sometimes you don't see the forest for all trees...
Old 11-01-2020, 12:29 PM

Thanks Firechild, I was aware, but it's always nice to get a refresher.