Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 09-01-2011, 04:51 AM

Default Confusion with the numbering system whilst pairing multiple channels?

OK, I was doing some 80 input gig the other night with the Venue and the monitor guy and myself were trying to follow the channel list ( via comms ) as more and more stereo feeds were being added on the fly ( lots of VT and playback stuff going on )

So... I'm logically following the patch list on the board, but every time I pair the channels the numbers shift i.e channel 19 and 20 become one channel and the next spare channel flips from being channel 21 to becoming channel 20?? Therefore my channels no longer match up with my input list, not a problem normally, but with 7 or 8 stereo channels this becomes confusing as hell. What should be channel 50 is now showing as channel 42.

I've asked digi for an option to correct this, but in the meantime does anyone have a logical workaround that doesn't involve un-pairing all the stereo channels.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:27 AM

Default Re: Confusion with the numbering system whilst pairing multiple channels?

The channel numbering follows the channel count on the surface, so I understand that. I also understand the confusion over this, especially in the offline software. The way that I usually get around this is to make sure the patch at the stage rack is 1-to-1. This way, you can either use the source button on the surface to reference actual input numbers or on the selected channel the input patch is displayed directly under the channel name, which also appears in the software. It can be a little confusing, but after getting used to it, it has not been an issue for me. Hope this helps.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Confusion with the numbering system whilst pairing multiple channels?

Hi.
I always use several stereo channels and, in that case, the best
approach, IMHO, is to look ONLY at the input and not at the channel number.
Just under the channel label, on the inputs screen, for example,
you can read: Channel 7, Stage 7,8 , channel 16, stage 18, etc.
My input patches always look like a maze, because I like putting channels
in my favorite order, put some in bank safe, etc.
It's easy.
Good luck.
Regards,
MJ
Old 09-01-2011, 12:18 PM

what i found to be the most annoying, is when the channel numbers are changed. That some Events who have channels included, where the nummering is changed from, that the event won't work.

that's one reason why i try to avoid stereo channels, except the fx returns. who work fine for laptops and cd's
Old 09-01-2011, 01:38 PM

This is a truly annoying feature on the otherwise great console. I don't really get the logic of this, but have definitely managed to live with it.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:04 PM

There was a little big of a logical learning curve for me, but I do say it is a lot better than Yamaha's "channel pair" technique. IMHO, it is a waste of console real estate and channels I needed to pair landed on an even channel.

My typical workflow is I get the faders set as I want them on the control surface; to include multiple spare mono and stereo channels aready patched. Then, I do a 1-to-1 patch within the patch bay, to include the spare channels as well. Seems to work well for my setups. I'd rather have spare channels already assigned than fudge around with it last minute and try to make sense out of disorganization.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 09-02-2011, 09:56 AM

I haven't done a new configuration in a while. But in the past, to avoid confusing volunteers (and me sometimes), I usually put stereo channels at the end of the input list.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:01 PM

Thanks for all your input guys, much appreciated

Old 09-05-2011, 12:59 PM

If im working with a crew which i suspect will get confused, I start patching stereo pairs in layers, So the stage keyboard feed will become ch 1 and 33, etc.

Start where your patching ends. This way, the channel labeling remains constant.

Cheers!
Sidhu
Old 09-05-2011, 01:11 PM

I've found a best workflow to be to give names to the channels asap. And if you get confused what channel has what input there is a button display source right on your left down from flip button that you can use to quickly check the patching.