Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 02-13-2020, 10:03 AM

Default Repurposing old Eleven Rack

I have an Eleven Rack connected to my ProTools rig. I've had it since it came out and made sure I update FW through the years. It's been used mainly in recording projects (no re-amping) and the results have been stellar.

I'm not doing much recording and if I did I'd use the HX Stomp. Given the product is old (by technology standards) I'd like to find some use for it because it's still very relevant, IMO the Eleven is still sounding great.

I do not like having to power up ProTools, and play through an armed track and studio monitors to just jam on a guitar, much can be said for my HX Stomp as well.

I was thinking of selling the Eleven, but at street prices around $150.00 (top dollar) I might as well keep it and repurpose it into a stereo jamming rig, with foot controls.

If I really wanted "amp in the room" I have two Dr. Z amps... but man, those sound great, but usually need to crank them. I like the idea of the modelers for low volume, but great sounding, plus stereo effects.

My options:

A: Get a d-class power amp (maybe Seymour powerstage 700), midi controller and expression pedal and 2x12 stereo cab.

B. Get the Line 6 Power Cab 2x12 Plus, midi controller and expression pedal. If I go this route, I can use my HX Stomp as well, (obviously I could use it for option A too... but easier for option b).

For my HX Stomp I have a Mission Engineering Helix Exp Pedal and Morningstar MC6 mkII which are pretty easy to program.

For control, is the Mornigstar a good choice? I know ME makes an expression pedal for the Eleven.

I'm leaning towards option B but want to tie up if a MC6 will control the Eleven?

I'm open to all thoughts and opinions... Otherwise, If I don't find a use for this tool, it's just going to sit in the rack and collect dust.
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Avid S1 / Fire10 - 21.8.1.0
PreSonus DigiMax FS 8-input ADAT
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here:

Paul G YouTube

Paul G Bandcamp
Old 02-13-2020, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Repurposing old Eleven Rack

I bought my Eleven Rack as a way to play at night through headphones and not turn on my amps or fire up Pro Tools. I haven't played the Helix, but I've been happy with my Eleven, and running my pedalboard in front of it has been even better as well as tweaking the presets.

Not sure which Dr. Z amps you have; I have the MAZ 18 Jr. head and a 1x12 as well as some Fenders; may be worthwhile trying using your amps set as clean as possible first before getting into power amps and new cabs. Yes, sound will be different, but a lot less expensive to test out.

Otherwise, why not sell it and use the funds to get a new pedal, or send your amp back to Dr. Z for updating (will be doing that with mine). You won't get a lot, but it's given you years of service. I try to sell stuff that hasn't been used in my studio or with our band after 2 years...
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones
Old 02-13-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
I bought my Eleven Rack as a way to play at night through headphones and not turn on my amps or fire up Pro Tools. I haven't played the Helix, but I've been happy with my Eleven, and running my pedalboard in front of it has been even better as well as tweaking the presets.

Not sure which Dr. Z amps you have; I have the MAZ 18 Jr. head and a 1x12 as well as some Fenders; may be worthwhile trying using your amps set as clean as possible first before getting into power amps and new cabs. Yes, sound will be different, but a lot less expensive to test out.

Otherwise, why not sell it and use the funds to get a new pedal, or send your amp back to Dr. Z for updating (will be doing that with mine). You won't get a lot, but it's given you years of service. I try to sell stuff that hasn't been used in my studio or with our band after 2 years...

Thanks Ned, the Maz 18 is a wonderful amp! I have the Maz 38 SR NR with a Z-Best 2x12. I also have a 1x12 Dr.Z Carmen Ghia.

I hear what you are saying... I normally sell stuff too... Just sad that the market on the Eleven has tanked down to nothing... And it does sound great.. But perhaps you are right. i bet in another 10 years folks will be looking for one, just like Marshall jmp1's... LOL.
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Avid S1 / Fire10 - 21.8.1.0
PreSonus DigiMax FS 8-input ADAT
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here:

Paul G YouTube

Paul G Bandcamp
Old 02-14-2020, 10:01 AM

I was equally sad when my ADA MP1 went down to zero resale value as well, but we move on...
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones
Old 02-14-2020, 03:01 PM

My Eleven Rack still sound amazing, new technology or not. I used mine all the time direct to FOH.

Instead of going poweramp+cab why not simply going with a Tech21 Power Engine Deuce or Laney LFR112? Line6 Powercab might be a good option if you need IR. I have an EV ZLX12P powered PA speaker and really like it.

As for midi pedal, I'm using a Tech21 Mongoose (small, light, 9v battery or 9vdc, 2x expression pedal input) with an expression pedal (an old Cry Baby I mod) connected to Mongoose, and a small 2-switch connected to 11R for on/off of delay and mod. Simple, not expensive and works perfectly (no need to have a real pedalboard and have everything velcroed).