Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2018

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-12-2019, 10:45 AM
jwilkers jwilkers is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Louisville, KY.
Posts: 157
Default Import audio… Beachball

Mid 2012 Retina 15" MacBookPro10,1 Quad-Core i7 'Ivy Bridge' 2.6 GHz
Presonus Studio 192
Presonus DP88
Pro Tools Dock
Artist Mix
Pro Tools 2018.12
Last version High Sierra

Hello, this only happens on occasion. But it is very frustrating.
Whenever I create a new session and go to import audio as soon as I select the first file I get a beach ball. The only way out is to kill ProTools and start over. Sometimes it requires a reboot. Sometimes it requires deleting the session and building a new one. Once it happens the first time it continues to happen until some combination of rebooting and restarting ProTools which I have not figured out. Any ideas?
Since it does not happen every time I cannot tell you what is different from one session to the next. I pretty much use the same workflow every time. Create session, file import audio, select file, Beachball.
Both the session and the external files are on an external hard drive.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-13-2019, 07:22 AM
jeam25's Avatar
jeam25 jeam25 is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 2,463
Default Re: Import audio… Beachball

Hi !

Thats strange , databases and preferences trashed ?
__________________
- Jesus Alvarado -

Keep the volume UP !
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-13-2019, 07:47 AM
jwilkers jwilkers is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Louisville, KY.
Posts: 157
Default Re: Import audio… Beachball

Databases...no, prefs....yes.
May try databases.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-14-2019, 04:51 AM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 16,066
Default Re: Import audio… Beachball

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilkers View Post
Mid 2012 Retina 15" MacBookPro10,1 Quad-Core i7 'Ivy Bridge' 2.6 GHz
Presonus Studio 192
Presonus DP88
Pro Tools Dock
Artist Mix
Pro Tools 2018.12
Last version High Sierra

Hello, this only happens on occasion. But it is very frustrating.
Whenever I create a new session and go to import audio as soon as I select the first file I get a beach ball. The only way out is to kill ProTools and start over. Sometimes it requires a reboot. Sometimes it requires deleting the session and building a new one. Once it happens the first time it continues to happen until some combination of rebooting and restarting ProTools which I have not figured out. Any ideas?
Since it does not happen every time I cannot tell you what is different from one session to the next. I pretty much use the same workflow every time. Create session, file import audio, select file, Beachball.
Both the session and the external files are on an external hard drive.
Those external drives - are they on a network or direct connected to your computer? And if direct connected how are they connected? Are the drives somehow sleeping (they're not 'green' drives are they)?
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-14-2019, 05:16 AM
jwilkers jwilkers is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Louisville, KY.
Posts: 157
Default Re: Import audio… Beachball

Good questions.
I have multiple.
They are the usual Glyph spinners.
They are older so I doubt that they are green.
I don't think they sleep.
May have to read on that.
Connected via USB and TB.
Possibly just USB as I am not there at the moment and haven't looked in forever.
But I am pretty sure at least 1 is TB.
Even if they do sleep, there's no way that they are asleep when this happens because I have been banging on them for a while.
Thanks and keep the questions and/or answers coming.
I know this forum well enough to know that if people CAN help they will.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-14-2019, 09:03 AM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 16,066
Default Re: Import audio… Beachball

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilkers View Post
Good questions.
I have multiple.
They are the usual Glyph spinners.
They are older so I doubt that they are green.
I don't think they sleep.
May have to read on that.
Connected via USB and TB.
Possibly just USB as I am not there at the moment and haven't looked in forever.
But I am pretty sure at least 1 is TB.
Even if they do sleep, there's no way that they are asleep when this happens because I have been banging on them for a while.
Thanks and keep the questions and/or answers coming.
I know this forum well enough to know that if people CAN help they will.
Thanks for the info. There is no such thing as a 'usual Glyph spinner'. Some of those old Glyph spinners will spin down on their own even if you have OSX set to never let drives sleep. I know because I had them at one time. Green drives not only mean they can/will sleep but also spin up or down in speed as needs warrant.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-14-2019, 10:08 AM
jwilkers jwilkers is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Louisville, KY.
Posts: 157
Default Re: Import audio… Beachball

Yeah, I knew 'usual' was going to be a bad word when I wrote it.
I am pretty sure that I have been using the drive enough when it happens that it is not going to spin down at that time anyway.
Unless you think a drive is going to sleep/spin down/hibernate/whatever after a minute or two.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-14-2019, 10:31 AM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 16,066
Default Re: Import audio… Beachball

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilkers View Post
Yeah, I knew 'usual' was going to be a bad word when I wrote it.
I am pretty sure that I have been using the drive enough when it happens that it is not going to spin down at that time anyway.
Unless you think a drive is going to sleep/spin down/hibernate/whatever after a minute or two.
The old Glyphs would do that all on their own. There are even some current bare enterprise hard drives that slow down and park their heads - these are the types of drives that would be used in a network that would be expected to see heavy use.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-14-2019, 10:40 AM
jwilkers jwilkers is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Louisville, KY.
Posts: 157
Default Re: Import audio… Beachball

Ok then.
That could be it.
I'll find a way to troubleshoot.
It really is the only reasonable explanation if you think about it.
There seems to be no other rhyme or reason.
Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-17-2019, 06:47 AM
jwilkers jwilkers is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Louisville, KY.
Posts: 157
Default Re: Import audio… Beachball

I am back. I am having the same problem with my internal SSD. Therefore the spinners going to sleep could not be the issue. Anymore thoughts? Thank you!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cannot import audio track via Import Audio menu item vibeone macOS 14 12-13-2018 09:10 AM
Import audio files on one track using Import Audio Command Sir Hannes Pro Tools 12 6 01-16-2018 01:50 PM
PT 11.2 hangs (Mac beachball) on audio file import TomLewis Pro Tools 11 0 07-05-2014 04:16 PM
Importing audio takes FOREVER + beachball Dimak415 Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) 2 10-19-2011 03:22 PM
Draggin audio from workspace = Beachball joji Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 0 08-17-2010 07:35 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:51 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com