How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 05-07-2015, 10:45 AM

Default Video: Avid's Dana Ruzicka Talks Collaboration at NAB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=278&v=EfFdSPXmefY

Dana Ruzicka is Avid's Vice President Segment and Product Marketing

Wow he talks about these features as if they exist today! 45 days since PT 12's official release. How long is "Coming Soon"? http://www.elevenrackpresets.com/pt1...ntuptimer.html
Studio: 2010 Mac Pro Tower Intel Xeon 12 core 3.33 GHz, 64 GB macOS Sierra PCIe SSD 256GB Boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2018.4 | HD Native Card | Digi 192 Analog & 192 Digital Blue | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Waves DLI, Impact Server, Horizon, Rode K2. Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Old 05-07-2015, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Video: Avid's Dana Ruzicka Talks Collaboration at NAB

This is getting even more childish.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:48 PM

What I took away from that...

It's very, very cool! It's very cool! It's really cool!

Just wondering...did these (Avid exec's) guys attend an Est retreat late last year?
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 2 1T data drives in Thunderbolt enclosure, OSX 10.10.5, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, Pro Tools 12.4 HD, PreSonus Studio One 3.5, Logic X, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:11 PM

From what I can see, all of this development time, all of this effort over the last couple of years is simply about creating new revenue streams for Avid. They see the cloud collaboration (which we now know is to be a paid service) as a money maker, they see the store as a money maker, since they will take a percentage. So you pay for each if you use them.

For someone like me the new direction is bitterly disappointing. Yes, I know I'm not their target market, but it would be nice to some development of audio features.

Of course those revenue generating features can only make money if they actually exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=278&v=EfFdSPXmefY

Dana Ruzicka is Avid's Vice President Segment and Product Marketing

Wow he talks about these features as if they exist today! 45 days since PT 12's official release. How long is "Coming Soon"? http://www.elevenrackpresets.com/pt1...ntuptimer.html
Old 05-07-2015, 03:31 PM

I'm as critical of Avid lately as anyone, but I have to say, that I do find the collaboration thing compelling. I have lots of friends around the country that I like to work with, and this makes it so much easier. Even a fried who lives on the other side of the city, this will help me work with him more.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 05-07-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
I'm as critical of Avid lately as anyone, but I have to say, that I do find the collaboration thing compelling. I have lots of friends around the country that I like to work with, and this makes it so much easier. Even a fried who lives on the other side of the city, this will help me work with him more.
They've announced 13 moths ago.
http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...ion-video.html

From what I was told @ NAMM in January Q3 2015 maybe.
and what Avid is NOT saying about Cloud Collaboration is it not going to free.
I think when it does come out people are going to be surprised at the cost…
Avid was also pumping up PT First at NAMM and that is nowhere to be seen as well.
Announce first deliver over a year later …. how to spell U N P R O F E S S I O N A L?
Old 05-07-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchwood Studios View Post
and what Avid is NOT saying about Cloud Collaboration is it not going to free.
I think when it does come out people are going to be surprised at the cost…
I'd imagine there are multiple tiers of cloud, so I suspect whatever pricing is involved will be tiered. And of course there's PT First, which as we know will use cloud storage instead of local storage. Not sure if they ever announced collab features being a part of First, I would be surprised if it was included.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
I'd imagine there are multiple tiers of cloud, so I suspect whatever pricing is involved will be tiered. And of course there's PT First, which as we know will use cloud storage instead of local storage. Not sure if they ever announced collab features being a part of First, I would be surprised if it was included.
There were limitations to the free version announced when it came out. The cloud was free to a point, after that, you have to pay.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 05-08-2015, 01:40 PM

The most important reason that PT First exists is to allow people who are not PT users to collaborate via the cloud. Part of the "Avid Everywhere" campaign. The see it as a marketing opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Old 05-08-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
The most important reason that PT First exists is to allow people who are not PT users to collaborate via the cloud. Part of the "Avid Everywhere" campaign. The see it as a marketing opportunity.
Right, so the fact that it's free and actually restricted to the cloud indicates there will be a tiered pricing structure for Avid Everywhere, e.g. free/$/$$. Just like there is a tiered structure for Pro Tools (PT First, PT, PTHD)