Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 08-28-2011, 08:38 PM

Default Any MB with 1155 socket that can support original PCI HD cards?

Hi guys,

I have another MB thread but wanted to start a new one specifically about boards using the 1155 socket and associated chip sets. I got some great suggestions in the other thread for 1156 and older socket MB but they are hard to find or discontinued.

Has anyone made a system that uses an 1155 socket CPU that can support the ORIGINAL PCI HD cards? My HD core and process cards are 8 years old. It seems in the other thread that the difficulty is finding a MB that supports native PCI boards correctly and doesn't use a PCIe - PCI bridge which the original HD PCI boards won't be recognized on even though technically they fit. I might be misunderstanding but that was what I got.

So Third Eye Studios seems to have a nice solution but it's an older MB and is harder to find.

RonTally and Ray Campbell used a Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3 board with great success but it is discontinued and I can't find a major online retailer that will sell one.

What would you guys do? Go with Third Eye's build even though it's older? Try to find a MB that works with an 1155 socket etc...? I cannot afford to be the guinea pig on this one and want to copy someone else's build this time.

My goal is to end up with PT 9 and Win 7 running my original HD core and process cards (PCI).

Thanks for all the help in advance,
David
Old 08-29-2011, 03:36 AM

Default Re: Any MB with 1155 socket that can support original PCI HD cards?

If you are happy to go xeon (no overclocking) and not have on-board firewire or esata then you could try something like my set-up:

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=1815330&postcount=67

Running fine for over a month now.

I think it works because the chipset has native PCI support, and doesn't support CPU integrated graphics.

Good luck!
Old 08-29-2011, 11:56 AM

David I'm using the same build as third eye and it rocks he help me out so I'd recommend that route

Regards

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 08-29-2011, 12:30 PM

Thanks guys. I am really tempted to go the Third Eye route since it has multiple successful users.

However I am equally tempted with dawkab's build because it uses more modern stuff.

They both are good.

Dawkab, could you provide me with more details about your build than in the link?
Did you have issues getting it to run? Was it straight forward?
Do you have dual monitors because I really need dual monitors badly for film post work?
Did you add a sound card for Windows and non PT sounds?
Would you be willing to help me if I go your route if I get stuck? I will give you my full proposed system first.

Thanks,
David
Old 08-29-2011, 06:31 PM

Hi David,

I'm happy to look at your specs, but I can't guarantee your set-up will work - I've only built my own HD systems every few years, so not heaps of experience to draw on and I don't have much time at the moment, but I'll help when I can. If you've done HD build/installs before you should be fine.

I've detailed my experience here, from post 63 on.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=296713&page=7

It covers the main issues - head up are:

I had to bend the power/reset header pins a little to fit around the card, and the usb headers are blocked by the cards. Haven't bothered with sorting that yet as 2 USB ports are fine for me. I just use a hub for the iloks and another for mouse and keys.

I've had dual monitors - a dell multitouch and a Samsung 245 running fine, but I haven't done any video work on the system yet, just run mix and edit windows. Just basic mouse and keyboard other than that.

No soundcard added.

The reason I used this board/processor combo is future upgrade possibilities to ivy bridge xeons and to HD5 - if I'm feeling bold enough to snap of the pcix pins.

cheers.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:29 PM

I'm not sure, but ... Jetway JNAF92-Q67-LF may become an option, if it has real "native" PCI slots and no hidden issues.

http://htpcsite.com/ProductCart/pc/v...3&idcategory=0
Old 08-30-2011, 09:07 PM

I have built my own rig before in 2003 and it has worked flawlessly on XP. Now I need Windows 7 to run PT 9 etc...

I am going to go with Third Eye Studio and Raul's build since it has more stuff on the MB that I like even though an older CPU. Can you guys give me help if I email? TES, I sent you an email via this site, not sure if it actually made it to you.

Thanks for you willingness to help Dawkab but the other MB seems like it will be easier with a few more features.

Thanks,
David
Old 08-30-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sandwisch View Post
I have built my own rig before in 2003 and it has worked flawlessly on XP. Now I need Windows 7 to run PT 9 etc...

I am going to go with Third Eye Studio and Raul's build since it has more stuff on the MB that I like even though an older CPU. Can you guys give me help if I email? TES, I sent you an email via this site, not sure if it actually made it to you.

Thanks for you willingness to help Dawkab but the other MB seems like it will be easier with a few more features.

Thanks,
David
I help ya dude if ya need it

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 08-31-2011, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sersol View Post
I'm not sure, but ... Jetway JNAF92-Q67-LF may become an option, if it has real "native" PCI slots and no hidden issues.

http://htpcsite.com/ProductCart/pc/v...3&idcategory=0
Well the Q67 chipset has native PCI support, looking at the photo there doesn't seem to be any obstructions by the 4 PCI slots. This could be a goer.....

Anyone know anything about Jetway? I've never heard of them before.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sandwisch View Post

Thanks,
David
I got your email, I'm glad to help!!