How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 03-26-2020, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Come On 20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
Give Avid a break, they only had 10 months since the dev beta release of Catalina to work on the video engine. They need more time, it’s understandable. I need at least four years to complete any task. My clients understand.
They used that time, to fix the issue with the HDX additional voices they announced last year...

Cheers!
Old 03-26-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiz View Post
They used that time, to fix the issue with the HDX additional voices they announced last year...

Cheers!
I think they used it to throw some eyes wide shut parties.
I wish them the worst. Double time. They're thieves is what they are.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 03-26-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
My clients, who payed me upfront, will understand.
To be more precise...

Cheers!
Old 03-26-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiz View Post
To be more precise...

Cheers!
Precisely. It's a terrible travesty.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 03-26-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Give Avid a break, they only had 10 months since the dev beta release of Catalina to work on the video engine. They need more time, it’s understandable. I need at least four years to complete any task. My clients understand.
I would give Avid a break if it gives me a break after the end of my annual plan
Old 03-27-2020, 01:17 AM

Surely today..
Old 03-27-2020, 02:04 AM

I read a coronavirus update from Avid last week. In it there was a short sentence about 'releasing updates for software in April'. My guess is it will be released alongside Avid Connect.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Agree.

I do believe the main reason we can get so passionate about it is because we DO love the program and the workflow, and just want it to be the best it can be.

I know there seem to be a lot of haters at times but even then, I think deep down they just want PT to have the features of other DAWs..

Let's face it.. do you really think if PT had midi as good as Cubase and integrated ARA2 or pitch editing and a few other things we have all discussed the last few years, that anyone here would even consider another DAW? It would leave everything else in the dust if Avid caught up, cause the other DAWs simply can't match the GUI and fluent workflow/ease of use. This is why it can be frustrating, cause PT is SO good to actually work with, but it's behind in some important ways.

For me
Elastique PRO as a realtime algorithm in EA which will also make audio quantise a joy.
ARA 2 or even flex pitch using X Form algo.
midi plugins and also midi scripting of some kind, like cubase logical editor for advanced one click macro functions
Sidechain delay compensation for non HDX
64 ins on no HD hardware or even 128 LOL!
Folders (they ARE coming, we've seen it).
Delay comp at 65K for 44.1 sample rate and 128K for 96K sample rate. Basically 4x what it is now. Like other DAWs.

I know all our lists are different, but these are the big ones (IMO) that are in almost all other DAWs that we are missing.. PT is actually ahead in many ways and does things no DAW does but we forget too quickly. That said, if I was Avid i'd be striving to be the absolute best and make anyone who left to go to StudioNone/Creeper/illogic/Poobase rue the day they ever did!

Still, I like to look at the glass half full as pro tools is incredible to work with, everything just flows and is so FAST. :)

Couldn't agree with this more. I used PT for 15 years, and since have been through almost every other DAW. I found things i loved in each - S1 for similar linear editor workflow and a ton of modern features, including a bunch of amazing arranging and writing tools.
Reaper for its insane flexibility, actions, stable system and ability to make it whatever you want (almost)
Even programs like Bitwig and Ableton for inspiring electronic music writing.
But the bottom line is, for mixing, there is no other system that has the workflow of PT. I am trying to come back to it now but i miss quite a few things (mostly ones you mention.

Also the ability to customise shortcuts. Shortcuts for things like 'show only tracks in group'
Render Queue a la reaper.

Arranger track.
Some kind of 'project' page or 'sub projects'

These are things that seriously help modern workflows. The basic things like folder tracks seem kind of ridiculous, most DAWs had this a long, long time ago.
As for sidechain PDC - that is outright upsetting. So i can't do sidechain comp if the comp has lookahead? Yikes.
I really want to make this work, i have an old love for PT that i am trying to rekindle. I also have a Raven and that works better with PT than any other DAW in my experience.

The other thing is, PT should have basic actions. Basically every modern program has this. So much of what the raven does in terms of actions should be native to the program.

If Avid did this, they would wipe the competition out completely. One wonders how other companies can roll things out so quickly, whilst avid takes ages and ages to do minor changes.
Reaper is a couple of guys and the updates are basically every month...new features, fixes (they are also free updates)

I have moments where i'll come across a PT feature that i forgot about and ill say 'ah yes, thats why i love PT' after all - it IS a great program. There is a reason so many of us love it and held onto it for as long as possible.

Do you think it is possible that they have just decided that video is important and music production is not for them?
Old 03-27-2020, 06:51 AM

So.. I got my email from AVID this morning, that my support plan expires in 30 days.

Sick to the stomach! all my work is canceled due to Covid-19, so it's bad timing.

Don't feel I got good value in the last period after a year of bug fixes, and no sign of the promised HDX extra voices. (an announcement is a promise with an ongoing subscription model)

With the old model.. you could skip a version.. did this all the time!

AVID, can we please have a three month holiday option in the service?

Happy not to have bug fixes.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innesireinar View Post
I would give Avid a break if it gives me a break after the end of my annual plan
And a tax break too