Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2009, 05:04 PM

Default Multiple Video Cards?

I just setup my ProTools HD3 Accel on a new 8-core MacPro with a Magma Expansion Chassis....my question is this..... With the built-in dual DVI, I'm driving a 22" widescreen LCD to my left and a 32" LCD/TV mounted on the wall in front of me. I'm going to be setting up a 24" LCD/TV on both sides of the main LCD TV that will be used for monitoring video in my drum room and iso room, but also security outside and a feed from my youngest son's bedroom (he's autistic). So I've thought about adding another dual display video card to give me (4) monitors....... one for EDIT VIEW, one for MIXER VIEW, and the other two for PLUGINS and VIDEO PLAYBACK. IS anyone successfully running dual or even (3) video cards with an expansion chassis with PTD? I do high track counts, generally 100 or so.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Multiple Video Cards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
I just setup my ProTools HD3 Accel on a new 8-core MacPro with a Magma Expansion Chassis....my question is this..... With the built-in dual DVI, I'm driving a 22" widescreen LCD to my left and a 32" LCD/TV mounted on the wall in front of me. I'm going to be setting up a 24" LCD/TV on both sides of the main LCD TV that will be used for monitoring video in my drum room and iso room, but also security outside and a feed from my youngest son's bedroom (he's autistic). So I've thought about adding another dual display video card to give me (4) monitors....... one for EDIT VIEW, one for MIXER VIEW, and the other two for PLUGINS and VIDEO PLAYBACK. IS anyone successfully running dual or even (3) video cards with an expansion chassis with PTD? I do high track counts, generally 100 or so.
That is a great question! I am also looking to use the same setup - 4 monitors and a chassis. I hope someone have done this before and can help.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:09 PM

Maybe I'll be the first? Why not, it's not like anything could go wrong! LOL
Old 05-09-2009, 07:59 AM

Hello Brad, did you ever have success using 3 or more monitors?

I am trying to figure out adding a third after going magma expansion
(was using canapus before)
Old 05-09-2009, 10:37 AM

fwiw...

G5 dual 2.3 ppc
Magma PCI-PCI expansion (digi branded, the old one 32 bit)
HD4 accell
stock dual DVI video card (agp slot)
PCI video card (DVI+vga)

3 dell 22" LCD's running at thousands of colors. max resolution (I think 1650x1080???)

I am getting decent track counts. 60-100.

PCI bus usage at around 25% with 64 tracks. Plugs maxed on TDM.

I had to put the PCI expansion host card in slot 4 of the G5. If it was in any other slots it would max out the PCI bus as soon as I press play.

I still get PCI spikes to red and it stops playback on occassion but it seems fairly stable. I have read that the 4th PCI slot on my G5 is on its own dedicated bus so that is why it works I think.

Not sure about the newer macs.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:44 AM

It is great to have the Magma,and so...plenty of space,but in my case with a 2.8 8 core and a HD2 i found that this solution without adding a second Graphic Card is working fine
http://thehdpix.com/
I am using it as as a 3rd display output,(not for picture/video for the time being) but i am on test to check any latency issues
Old 05-12-2009, 12:53 PM

Hi there. What about if you need to send picture to the talent (for ADR, foley, etc)? What's the best way to send the video window from Pro Tools to a flat screen TV & to another studio TV at the same time?

We tried 'mirroring' in the Mac's display preferences, but the problem is it's an all-or-none thing, so you end up with your video window on all your screens.

Video Satellite LE seems like a huge investment, and too many things to go wrong.

I guess I'll Google around for a DVI-splitter or something?

Last edited by RossH; 05-12-2009 at 12:54 PM. Reason: clarity, i hope
Old 05-12-2009, 01:40 PM

If you use only(2) Monitor Displays,a DVI or HDMI Splitter will do.
If you want these(2) Monitor Displays to use them for ProTools or whatever,probably you need a 2nd Graphic Card or a BMD Card if you have a spare PCI(e) Slot and PT 8
Old 05-12-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossH View Post
Hi there. What about if you need to send picture to the talent (for ADR, foley, etc)? What's the best way to send the video window from Pro Tools to a flat screen TV & to another studio TV at the same time?

We tried 'mirroring' in the Mac's display preferences, but the problem is it's an all-or-none thing, so you end up with your video window on all your screens.

Video Satellite LE seems like a huge investment, and too many things to go wrong.

I guess I'll Google around for a DVI-splitter or something?
There's another way. I'm not in the studio right now, but if I remember correctly: you do NOT choose mirroring, then you can option-drag one monitor on another and those two will be mirrored, leaving the other two untouched.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:26 PM

I was using three monitors on my G4 with no problems, But Digitest complained that it was an unsupported configuration...