Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 09-24-2018, 07:18 PM

Default Gain difference between Profile/ SC48 and S6

Doing rehearsals for a show. I built a file on a SC48 for FOH. We just rented a S6 for my MON engineer and we’ll both have a S6 at the show. We loaded my file onto the S6 and all of the gains seemed hotter OR the compressor thresholds react differently. Basically anything with a channel comp engaged compressed a lot more than it did on the SC48. So which is it? Does the S6 have higher gain or does the compressor threshold have a different calibration? I just need to know what to do when I load my SC48 file onto the S6 the day of my show.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:03 AM

Default Re: Gain difference between Profile/ SC48 and S6

Not sure why this is happening, but to deal with it what I would do is, if you're listening to reference audio, I would check to see if there is a common gain bump, say +6dB. If so, then I would note that and then edit my show in the Standalone Software offline. If it's the Threshold on the compressor, then I would back it off by whatever the reciprocal amount is. If there is a "uniform" value across the console, then this is a tedious, but easy task. I would make the necessary changes to my Show File and save it with an added "S6L" (myshowfile-S6L). This way you will have both a Profile show that works and an S6L file that works. Hope that helps.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:29 AM
Avid

Nope, they're equally calibrated, I have two right next to one another right now with the a signal generator feeding both at the same gain settings... looks the same, same gain reduction, S6L analog output is louder though (higher voltage).

[email protected]
Old 09-25-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
Nope, they're equally calibrated, I have two right next to one another right now with the a signal generator feeding both at the same gain settings... looks the same, same gain reduction, S6L analog output is louder though (higher voltage).
Hmm. So weird. Bass DI input with the comp threshold set at -10 just barely tickles the comp. Just starts to light up on the SC48. Same setting on the S6 result in 5 dB of gain reduction. Same mic pre gain on both. Not sure why.

I’ll have a good soundcheck in front of my S6 on Friday so I’ll adjust dynamics thresholds as needed. I can get away without scoping them on all my snapshots.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:03 AM

Are your dynamics set to post-EQ in your SC48 showfile? The S6L is locked to compressing pre-EQ on the channel strip so this would have a large impact on your compression settings.

Honestly it’s one of my last big complaints with the S6L coming from a D-Show. It forces me to abandon the channel strip compressor most of the time and use a plugin.