Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-17-2005, 09:13 AM

Default Musical EQs and URS EQs

I have been reading the threads on URS EQs saying that these are the only plug-in EQs worth a damn. I am only familiar with Wave's Ren EQ, LinEQ, and Filterbank. A term I wasn't sure about was a "Musical EQ." What does this mean exactly? Does this mean it sounds natural when you boost and cut with it? Or, does the EQ somehow "adapt" to the material? I can understand how a compressor would be described as musical, since it adapts and changes throughout the song. However, EQs seem to be straight forward. They cut or boost volume on a certain frequency range. To me it seems to be more important to know how to properly use an EQ rather than the type of EQ used.

I'm talking in the area of mixing, not mastering.

Are the URS EQs worth investigating? Will the end mix sound that much better simply by using a URS EQ over the Ren EQ (while using the same technique)? If so, what URS EQs do you suggest to use for mixing?

I'm on a Mix Plus system on OS9 so I can't run Q-Clone. However, I am interested in using the latest-and-greatest plugs for my old system. I'm amazed at how many new plugs still run on Mix Plus/OS9.

Thanks
Old 06-17-2005, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Musical EQs and URS EQs

Musical will usually have a wider Q value so the effect of boosting or cutting is less precise and affects a wider frequency band making the effect smoother. With renEQ, cutting removes the unwanted frequency but the remaining spectrum is untouched - feeling alm ost like something is missing. This is good if you have a specific band that is troublesome.

The N and N12 seem to balance the boost and cut better so the remaining spectrum sounds better and this is good for enhancing the track. I find that everything benefits from going thru an N series. A 12 string acoustic needed some rolloff at the bottom and it immediately removing the thump while the overall track still sounded as smooth. A boost in the midrange livened up a bit of dullness without sound harsh, brittle or hyped in that range.

Same with vocals - it was so easy to dial in some EQ and make the voice sound fuller. The RenEQ never got me "musical" results as such and I found myself tweaking for a long time to make the track sound better. The URS N just worked with a couple of twists.

If you have a sibilance or plosive, or a bad honk, Waves will remove that sound but not necessarily improve the overall sound. that is the difference.

BTW - I was using the meek EQ for that but the URS made tracks much fuller in comparison. the meek seemed to thin out the track too much. This is why I got the URS stuff - the track never sounded worse with a cut, always full and warm.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 06-17-2005, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Musical will usually have a wider Q value so the effect of boosting or cutting is less precise and affects a wider frequency band making the effect smoother. With renEQ, cutting removes the unwanted frequency but the remaining spectrum is untouched - feeling alm ost like something is missing. This is good if you have a specific band that is troublesome.
It should be said that the REN EQ features variable Q on its filters, making them rather versatile. In other words, things aren't quite as "black & white" as described by Cliffy Boy.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 06-17-2005, 03:45 PM

HI,
I´d put it like this:
the "musical" flavor EQ/Comp whatever:
this is basically a substitute for "analogue". But as you know is quite futile to compare
real Hardware to Software 1 to 1, so "musically" means it´s add /emulates unregularietes in
frequency response commonly known to occure in analogue hardware, ranging from e.g. non-linear
frequency/volume response to harmonic distortion and whatever. These plugs add a character/color
to the sound that was not in it before.

Can be very well used to make fit sounds in a mix but the plugs themselves become more part
of the sound creation, since the affect the basic character of the sound.

the complementary EQ/comp flavor is the "technical/surgical" one, which has a mathematically
exact frequency response and adding absolutely NO coloration to the sound being put through the
plug. It´s used e.g. to tame/ cut and fix some sounds to fit good in a mix without changing the
basic character of a sound.

some plugs manage to get the best of both worlds but more often you have to choose on what you need.

I guess you get the point.

regs
Old 06-17-2005, 04:53 PM

URS Plugs are "Musical" to me because when I cut/boost it sounds pleasing. They sound pretty close to the real thing. There is an analog quality to them. I know what I'm going to say is a little general and cliche' but there is a colour you hear when using them. When I use say a Waves Q4 it just sounds like I'm boosting frequencies. I hear no character in their sound. It just sounds digital and stale. I'm not trying to start beef with Waves users. I just get better results with the URS stuff. Have you ever used real API or Neve eq? I've A/B'd URS against them and the similarity is remarkable. I recommend you check them out. They don't work miracles. They are'nt going to make your mixes magically sound better. In the right hands they can be very effective.

ed
Old 06-17-2005, 09:11 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I have never used a "real" eq. My first experience with EQ was the Focusrite D2 plugin. First compressor was the D3. I remember the first time I used the D3 I couldn't even hear what was going on. Just looking at the meters thinking "What the hell is this doing to the sound?" haha

So, if I could only purchase one URS EQ for mixing, let's say to replace the functions of the Renaissance EQ, what would you suggest?

How does URS compare to Universal Audio's Pultec?

Just looking for one very good, versatile analogue EQ. I know I could go demo them all but I don't think my ears are trained enough yet. I know all of this processing adds up in the final mix so a/b'ing doesn't always help me.

That's why your experiences are so valuable.

Thanks,
Old 06-17-2005, 10:41 PM

Quote:
So, if I could only purchase one URS EQ for mixing, let's say to replace the functions of the Renaissance EQ, what would you suggest?

The Fulltec! Very warm, and versatile. Compares well to the excellent UAD Pultec, but lots more versatile.

STeve