Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2010, 02:24 AM

Default Re: I Can Assure You TDM is Far From Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassturbator View Post

After the announcement of PT9, I was/am kinda bummed out as an HD user, if you know what I mean... Nothing really "NEW" for the high-end in there... (YET, I hope...).

$350 for a "mandatory" (face it, you'll have to buy it sooner or later if you're in this bizz) upgrade (quite pricey!) that only allows me to run my sessions in Core Audio, doesn't really make me feel good about my investment in HD...

Let's hope they have more news... SOON...
Agreed... kinda cool we can have almost the same HD functions on a laptop though, but at least give us HEAT included in the upgrade !
Old 11-05-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Look for the next level. No way TDM is dead, I bet they will come out with smoking DSP Cards and Soon.

Hi,

TDM is not Dead! but its had nothing new for 7 years which was accel cards! PT9 brought nothing new for TDM except a few more nails in the coffin. It still has a very good place for now! but can't see any new TDM exclusivity from here on.

Just watch how quickly plugin vendors start to focus on native and leave TDM

The idea of a separate card or box to do calculations is history

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Just watch how quickly plugin vendors start to focus on native and leave TDM
FYI, TC dropped prices on TDM plugs yesterday...
http://www.tc-now.com/default.asp?id=350&cur=2

But I still think my TDM rig will be superior to a non-TDM rig regardless. Until non-TDM can do things that I can't in TDM, not really an issue. But is it worth the price to carry it? But the cost differential has been essentially eliminated. You only get what you pay for. Want better interfaces? Buy them. Want sync? Clocking? I/O ? You will only get what you pay for, right?
Old 11-05-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyroberts View Post
Wow, that's a big fire sale on their TDM plug-ins. I'd take that as a pretty big indicator that it's essentially the end of the line for TDM.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:12 AM

TDM's "replacement" will probably use the Euphonix brand and their technology.

That's why they bought them right?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyroberts View Post

But I still think my TDM rig will be superior to a non-TDM rig regardless. Until non-TDM can do things that I can't in TDM, not really an issue. But is it worth the price to carry it? But the cost differential has been essentially eliminated. You only get what you pay for. Want better interfaces? Buy them. Want sync? Clocking? I/O ? You will only get what you pay for, right?
Yeah Jeremy for you guys with bigger systems there's no impetus to rush out and go native. It's for guys like me with an HD1, vastly underpowered, who face shelling out a ton for another card to get to what the native can do trackwise, plus the factor of buying a ton of TDM plugs. Not smart money wise compared to native. But if I had HD3 I wouldn't do it.

TH
Old 11-08-2011, 04:19 PM

Bump for some Clarity.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 11-08-2011, 07:51 PM

I was just about to get an HD system (now that I can afford it). But when HDX came out, I was like NOOOOOOOOO!!!! but then I starting thinking.......my motherboard has 2 pci slots and 2 pcie slots. hmmmmm. So What I am planning to do is get an Hd1 system off ebay. I can buy the card separate, brand new interface in the box cheap and pick up a HD8 license for around $100. My issue is that chances are the card will already be registered so how will I upgrade? And there are some complete system for $1799 but if I buy piece by piece, I can get it cheaper ($600 interface, $700 core card and HD8 $130) for a total of $1430. It will last for at least 3-5 more years and I can easily add on one of the newer interfaces. Plugins can be had for cheap and I can pick up accel cards at will as well as a magama pci to pci to add more cards. So for less than the price of an apogee ensemble or rme ufx, I can have a TDM system that I could still run in native mode as well as use it with cubase. Am I on the right track guys? Your thoughts and thanks in advance!