Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2010, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Will Avid abandon DSP processing?

The TDM processing is the only thing that makes large tracking sessions possible with minimal latency and maximum stability. It may morph but I don't see it going away.

On the HD Native note: Why bother? This seems like a STUPID idea. Why not just call it "LE Pro" or something. HD Native is almost an oxymoron.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Avid

If I may jump in a moment - I'm crusading for non real-time bounce and want to just say that it IS a real time-saver. There are SO many cases where it's useful - where having a 'perfect' copy isn't necessary.

And, honestly, I think we've advanced to an age where we should be able to trust offline bounces to be as perfect as real-time ones. Yes, you still should listen to your finals for good measure but, if you've got an hour long session and want to bounce to listen to it elsewhere, offline bounce (especially if it can be trusted) could save gobs of time.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
If I may jump in a moment - I'm crusading for non real-time bounce and want to just say that it IS a real time-saver. There are SO many cases where it's useful - where having a 'perfect' copy isn't necessary.

And, honestly, I think we've advanced to an age where we should be able to trust offline bounces to be as perfect as real-time ones. Yes, you still should listen to your finals for good measure but, if you've got an hour long session and want to bounce to listen to it elsewhere, offline bounce (especially if it can be trusted) could save gobs of time.
+10000000000000000000

Totally agree.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 11-04-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
Yeah really? And this is true to all hardware and console users? We all have differnet needs, what is "the most important thing" to one might be absolutely meaningless to another. I have no feelings whatsoever regarding offline bounces. I want to have so much DSP that I do not need to render anything. For my type of work I almost have this already with my current setup and computer but I would not mind having more. And I always like to listen to the track when doing my mixdown and with any other software this is the only way as I am running thru the hardware anyway.
Maybe I'm just imaging things but I have a feeling more and more people are turning back to using some sort of hardware in their mixing to have best of everything as there are pieces that are still hard to replace and why should we if they sit right there and sound fantastic.
No and your needs aren't the same as mine or thousands of others. What we DO know though, is that there are no composers working with VI's that wouldn't like offline bounce. If you are not composing using VIs, it is of no interest to you, but since Pro Tools added midi on years ago, it's obvious that the program is not just aimed at pure audio folks, just as notation is not necessary for you but a lot of people use it. We are not talking about bouncing a vocal with an outboard LA2a on it here.

TH
Old 11-04-2010, 11:09 AM

Default Re: AWill Avid abandon DSP processing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hartman View Post
Lebolt hasn't been with Apple for awhile.
The fact that he left speaks volumes...
Old 11-04-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The fact that he left speaks volumes...
Hey, maybe Dave Le Bolt coming back to Avid will be the subject of today's press conference.
Mac Pro 2019 16-core, 96GB RAM, OS 10.15.2
Old 11-04-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Dweller View Post
Hey, maybe Dave Le Bolt coming back to Avid will be the subject of today's press conference.
Dave is getting back into composing for Film & TV

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-04-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
Dave is getting back into composing for Film & TV
That's pretty clear from his website...

http://www.davelebolt.com/Main_DL/home.html
Old 11-04-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formfunction View Post
Maybe I misunderstand, but can't you (or wouldn't you) just consolidate each track and export them to a file folder. This is all done in lightspeed on Intels. ff

Ahhh.. but you want to bounce them with effects and processing? I see your point if that is the case.
I do it with and without (name the sets, a couple clicks, and I'm done). It's amazing how little time it takes with the fast computers we have these days. You can do it as an afterthought. 10-20+ years later, when you want to get back to those tracks and all those plug-ins and VIs are history, it'll be great to have a set of raw and a set of processed tracks from which a mix can be recreated. Like having a 24 track tape.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hartman View Post
No and your needs aren't the same as mine or thousands of others. What we DO know though, is that there are no composers working with VI's that wouldn't like offline bounce. If you are not composing using VIs, it is of no interest to you, but since Pro Tools added midi on years ago, it's obvious that the program is not just aimed at pure audio folks, just as notation is not necessary for you but a lot of people use it. We are not talking about bouncing a vocal with an outboard LA2a on it here.
I'd say that if you don't have off-line capabilities, and have never used them, it's really hard to say how they'd integrate with your work flow.

I bet, though, that if a person had them for awhile, and got used to using them, they'd really put up a fight if you tried to take them away.