Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-11-2010, 02:48 PM

Default MS Decoding Help

I just got back from a location opera recording where I had one of my neumann km184's die on me... one half of my stereo miking setup, gone. I had a few safety mics on me, though no matched pairs, so in a panic I set up a cardioid and a figure-8 in an MS setup. Here's the kicker: in the 15 years that I have been working with audio, I have never done any MS miking, and I didn't have an MS encoding preamp. I just winged it in hopes that I could figure it out in post.

So now I have imported everything and I have one track with the cardioid, and one track with the figure-8 (which was setup 90 degree to the cardioid during recording). Now what? Do I just duplicate the figure-8 track, invert the phase of the duplicated track, and pan the two figure-8 tracks opposite to each other? Or do I have this all wrong and now I'm screwed?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-11-2010, 02:57 PM

Default Re: MS Decoding Help

that will work.

there are some plugs that can do the encoding Brainworx and I think Waves

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-11-2010, 03:04 PM

Note that if you're using a plugin to invert the phase (I usually use the simple Digi 1 band EQ) it's probably a good idea to put that EQ on all three tracks, just to keep the delay inherent in that plugin equal across all tracks. Just don't do anything on the EQ on tracks 1 and 2, and flip the phase on track 3.

Works fine. But as others have noted, there are some free plugins too. I'm slightly wary of some of them, putting them all on the same track, and comparing them one by one doesn't always generate the same 'sound' which one would think it should, since all it's really doing is simple math...

I know the waves one works fine.

Here are a few free plugins:

Sound Hack Freesound Bundle has an MS decoder:

http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/do...sound-bundle/#

And here's the free one from Brainworx:

http://www.brainworx-music.de/index....6&um=2&lang=en
Old 01-11-2010, 03:09 PM

Also, the general rule for MS is never let your 'side' mic signals go hotter than your 'mid' mic signal, or you start introducing out of phase material. Not a bad idea the first few times you experiment with MS to have a phase meter running (ProTools Surround Meter has one) and watch what happens.

But MS is a great tool. Not sure what you'll find not having matched mics, it will still certainly work. Now the other thing is that on a figure 8, you want the zero degree 'lobe' pointing to the left, and 180 facing the right. If somehow you had that backwards when recording, you might find your left and right signals reversed. No huge deal, you would then just swap phase on the original figure 8 track and not on the duplicated, and it should correct it.

If using a plugin, remember that it will assume the mid mic is on the track left, and side mic is on the right. Usually if you watch your meters playing, before decoding you'll notice the mid signal meter will be much hotter (makes sense, it was directly facing the source) and side will be lower. After MS decoding, your left and right should be fairly balanced (assuming of course that the source was balanced, not right or left heavy). If you see something different, you might not be doing something right.

Tim
Old 01-11-2010, 03:47 PM

Thanks everyone.

I agree with the timing issues of adding plugins. Can I not just use Audiosuite Invert to flip the phase of the second side channel?

Thanks!