Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-30-2007, 09:27 AM

Default advice on career path?

Hello--I generally roam the LE forum, but I have a question for those of you that are working (or have worked) in the larger facilities that hire interns. I have a nephew that seems to have a natural aptitude for engineering (his mixes blow mine away, and he hasn’t been at it as long). He also genuinely enjoys it, so I would like to see him with a career in the field. He began the audio program at the Art Institute in Seattle, but didn’t finish--he is skeptical that a degree from this institution will really help him get a job. Many of those he knows who have graduated have had difficulty finding work in the field. As professionals working in the field, would you recommend that he finish his degree at the Art Institute before finding an internship, or rely on the skills he has already acquired (primarily in PT) and continue to look for an internship? Alternatively, should he just take the PT training courses offered by Digidesign and get a certification through them? For employability’s sake, would you recommend training in post-production? Are their generally more career opportunities in post? Thanks in advance for your advice.
NT
Old 03-30-2007, 09:43 AM

Default Re: advice on career path?

I think to be an intern, some proof that you have accomplished a course is all you would need, assuming they do have a showreel with impressive mixes and tracks.

No need to get the Digidesign certificate, that is a bunch of malarky.

More important are work ethic, people skills and ability to work like a dog, take orders of all sorts and do it with a smile.

Just curious, why didn't he finish the course?
2xMacPro 2.66,002r,OSX 10.4.10,PT 7.4cs8
3xVisionDaw,NI Komplete,Yamaha 01V/96
Old 03-30-2007, 11:21 AM

To get a runner position at a studio you do not need a mix reel.
Actually, it could hurt you in trying to get the gig, here's why:
The studio offers the runner job partly because it's the way a new person can go through the ranks to become an assistant and engineer eventually.
But for the studio it's also cheap labor to help them with all kinds of operational stuff, a lot which has nothing to do with engineering or even music. Please understand that by cheap labor I don't mean exploitation, it's an even trade of work against opportunity.
The problem with presenting a lot of experience in the engineering field while applying for a runner position is this:
The studio owner wants you to want to learn from the engineers and assistants in the studio and he wants you to learn things the way that the studio does things, because the studio needs you to fit in. So a lot of previous knowledge of "this is how it's done" can interfere with your job. Also, if you are an engineer in your mind already, your patience for the running work will grow thinner faster, at which point the studio has less interest in hiring you.
believe me, I have been turned down at studios coming right out of college, because the studio told me I was overqualified, just because I listed a couple of local engineering gigs. Be careful, your best intentions can fire back. Always try to anticipate what the hiring person NEEDS and fulfill that need if you want that gig. You can evolve from there, nobody will take away your knowledge and skill.
The studio owner will NEVER give somebody applying as a runner an engineering gig because of his mix reel, he won't even listen to it.
I'd say finish the education, if it's a reasonable time (less than 18months), get an internship on the side at a local studio, decide what he really wants to do (engineering, mixing, producing) and go from there.

Sincerely,
Old 03-30-2007, 08:16 PM

Thanks very much for your input. The responses seem mixed regarding whether he should continue to invest in school. Another option is to help him set up a decent studio in his area (he is already doing a bit of work with a Digi002r, etc.). But I'm concerned that, with the ever-increasing quality and use of pro-sumer gear, there will be a continued shift toward dyi recording, leaving the smaller studios, well-equipped though they may be, struggling. Thoughts on this? Considering the current state of the audio engineering industry, which path do you see as most apt to lead to a successfull career?
Thanks again, NT
Old 03-30-2007, 08:16 PM

Thanks very much for your input. The responses seem mixed regarding whether he should continue to invest in school. Another option is to help him set up a decent studio in his area (he is already doing a bit of work with a Digi002r, etc.). But I'm concerned that, with the ever-increasing quality and use of pro-sumer gear, there will be a continued shift toward dyi recording, leaving the smaller studios, well-equipped though they may be, struggling. Thoughts on this? Considering the current state of the audio engineering industry, which path do you see as most apt to lead to a successfull career?
Thanks again, NT
Old 03-30-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
To get a runner position at a studio you do not need a mix reel
I would agree with this, but the original post does not suggest that he is looking for a runner position per se.

There are interns positions available that are looking for people to do actual studio/mix work.
2xMacPro 2.66,002r,OSX 10.4.10,PT 7.4cs8
3xVisionDaw,NI Komplete,Yamaha 01V/96
Old 03-31-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
there will be a continued shift toward dyi recording, leaving the smaller studios, well-equipped though they may be, struggling. Thoughts on this? Considering the current state of the audio engineering industry,Thanks again, NT
it is indeed going worse & worse.

http://www.mmvstudios.com
Old 03-31-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Your concerns are well-founded. Going forward, for many reasons, this will be a VERY difficult field in which to earn a decent living. There will be people who succeed, but for the most part, they're going to need a LOT of talent (or a lot of luck), plus good entrepreneurial and people skills. IMO, just studying audio engineering isn't enough. You should encourage him to get a well-rounded education, so that he'll have some options. It never hurts in any job to be culturally literate, speak well, write well, etc.

Also consider that in asking these questions, you might be doing too much. IMO, building him a studio would not be wise, unless you want to set up a pattern of supporting him for the rest of his life. If he announced he was running off to join the circus, would you offer to buy him some elephants? (; I think that any person desiring to get into this biz needs to come face to face with the economic/financial realities early on. That will help them decide if they really want to have this kind of career, and make mid-course corrections before life catches up to them (if a person was going to med school, it would be different, because a prosperous career is a much more certain thing).

In the final analysis, he's the one who should really be ferverently asking these questions.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:

In the final analysis, he's the one who should really be ferverently asking these questions.
"Ferverently" is a brilliant word, Lee!
Old 03-31-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:

"Ferverently" is a brilliant word, Lee!
Yeah. It would have been even MORE brilliant had I typed it correctly. Just goes to show how important a well-rounded education (or having your spell checker enabled) can be. I'd be lucky if I could get an entry-level studio job cleaning the toylets these days.

For the record: fervently.